1st attempt at breakfast Sausage

Started by DTAggie, December 23, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

I just love being off work.  Gives me time to try new things.  First off, I want to say thank you very much to Curt - OU812 for sending me all the Penzy's spices, including the breakfast sausage and for giving the great pic tutorial on this the other day.

Second thanks goes to Sonny - CRG, for hooking me up with the grinder this summer.

So I here go doing 10 lbs of breakfast sausage.

Fat ground up first

rest of the butt

The two mixed together with Peny's breakfast seasoning

The second grind

Making some links

Patties

Breakfast for dinner.  Very good stuff.  Can't wait to taste it after the seasonings sit overnight in the fridge.

classicrockgriller

you'll never go back to store bought now!

I have been hammering the links I made.

Good Stuff.

You did great Tito.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DTAggie

Thanks Sonny & Kevin.  You are right.  I will never do store bought again.  I thought this butt had a lot of fat when I was slicing it up.  But when wife was cooking the patties, she said "what did you do, cut all the fat out?"  I didn't.  I actually put some of the fat from the butt that is in the OBS right now in this sausage.

Keymaster

Nice Job Aggie, I'll be following your footsteps soon :D

DTAggie

Definitely got to give it a try Keymaster.  Couple of things I learned.

1.  It was fun doing it.
2.  I need a bigger freezer.  My skinny side by side I use for BBQ stuff is not wide enough to slide the cutting board in there.
3.  I think I need to do 20 lbs at a time!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on December 23, 2010, 07:22:53 PM
Thanks Sonny & Kevin.  You are right.  I will never do store bought again.  I thought this butt had a lot of fat when I was slicing it up.  But when wife was cooking the patties, she said "what did you do, cut all the fat out?"  I didn't.  I actually put some of the fat from the butt that is in the OBS right now in this sausage.

There is a gland toward the end away from the bone that you should remove.

You will  notice it. It's dark on the inside of it.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 23, 2010, 07:52:31 PM
Quote from: DTAggie on December 23, 2010, 07:22:53 PM

There is a gland toward the end away from the bone that you should remove.

You will  notice it. It's dark on the inside of it.

What CRG said.

As far as the fat goes I try to add more, try some back fat.

Looks GREAT!!!!!

DTAggie

Well I am thinking I may have missed the gland on this butt.  What happens to it when making pulled pork?

OU812

Quote from: DTAggie on December 23, 2010, 09:11:05 PM
Well I am thinking I may have missed the gland on this butt.  What happens to it when making pulled pork?

Thats one of those fatie lookin things you throw away when your pulling it.

Sailor

Here is a photo of the gland and some added information.  http://www.meatbasics101.com/sausage_03.htm look at 3a and 3b. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pensrock

I guess you learn something everyday. I have cut up probably a hundred butts for making sausage and never knew anything about a gland in there.  ???

Sailor

yep Ditto on the gland Pens.......I have been getting my butts at Costco and they are bone out and when I slice them up I have not noticed the gland or most likely never knew what to look for.  I will have to look more closely at the next batch of butts that I cut up. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Caribou

Great job!
That pic of it frying in the pan is just down right cruel ;)
I think I can smell it from here!
Carolyn

SouthernSmoked

Looks great David, can't wait until Christmas day to begin making some myself.

What cut of meat did you use?

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little