New guy/ new project

Started by KRAKMT, December 25, 2010, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRAKMT

I emailed the smoker project to an older cousin and brother and found out my cousin used to design electronics for case/ih. He is way into designing the electronics. I am wondering on the ball park smoking steps, the fish recipe I am trying calls for 130 preheat then smoke for xhours then finish at 175. I can reach that with convection but working on adding a fan over http://www.sausagemaker.com/49100electricheatingelementfor100lbsmoker.aspx to reach the higher ends.
My question is whether one ever needs to add smoke at say above 160 degrees? Taking Walleye's concern to heart about back drafting the smoke generator when using a fan. My exhaust port of only 2inches could easily cause that. But if smoke and heat can somewhat be separate function then shouldn't be a prob.

Mr Walleye

Krakmt

I guess weather you apply smoke above 160 depends on what you plan on smoking. Certainly if you are mainly doing sausage, jerky, fish, etc, then you may not be doing much smoking over 160. I use mine for many things such as butts, brisket, turkey, chicken, etc, which all are smoked above 160 so it really comes down to what you plan on using the smoker for the majority of the time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KRAKMT

MERRY XMAS 2011

It has been a year and I have been working on the smoker between other projects-
So for a progress update-

Here is the schematic I used for the pid
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd381/KRAKMT/smoker.jpg
The controller will handle either 220v or or currently a 110v hotplate. depending I might add some btu if necessary.
It also has a fan controller that too can be added if necessary.
I will upload a few pictures but it still needs wheels, new handle and paint

So progress, it is doing its magic on a 22 pound turkey right now.

KRAKMT

- just bumped the turkey to program 17 on the pid. at 276 and climbing rapidly to 300.

CowtownSmoker

Personally I would not make a smoker w/ a plastic interior even at 225F.

KyNola

That's good because this 3 year old project didn't have plastic interior either. :o