Will Not Heat Over 165*F

Started by TedEbear, December 26, 2010, 10:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

This weekend was my first cold weather attempt at smoking.  I smoked two 7.5 lb pork butts overnight, arlound 21 hours total cooking time.  Today is the big family get-together and I had to finish the butts in the regular oven because my OBS would not get hotter than 165*F, according to an aftermarket probe, not the door display.

It heated up fine in the summer when I first got it but the outdoor temps were in the 90*F and hotter range.  Last night the outside temp was less than 20*F.  Should the OBS still be able to reach the 225-250*F range I was trying to reach?  I had it plugged directly into an outlet, no extension cord.  I just wondered if the heating element is going out or if I'm expecting too much when it is so cold out.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

BTW, the butts turned out great.  I wrapped them in foil, added 1 cup each of apple juice, and put them in the oven until they reached 180*F internal.  Then stuck them in the cooler with towels on top.  They are now "calming down" in there, while I wait for 15 family members to arrive.  I bought a set of Bear Paws for pulling that arrived Christmas Eve and am anxious to see how well they work.

Habanero Smoker

A temperature of 165°F is low, even with the ambient temperature in the teens. I have used my smoker in the teen's and with one element, I will get temperature of 210°F - 230°F; it just takes longer to get there.

Where there any other factors such as wind, or precipitation falling on the smoker? That will keep the temperatures down.

What was your vent setting? If you have it too closed it will trap moisture and keep the heat out. If you have it too wide open you will loose heat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Did you have it plugged up into an extention cord?

Or possibly be on a plug that is being used by other appliances?

SL2010

Make sure the wind is blocked i have using and old work insulated sweatshirt it helps holds temp(at least i think it does) just dont block the vent and slows down my peaking someone said on here before "if your looking your not cooking" i try remember the

DTAggie

What I have done the past two smokes when the ambient temp was mid 20's and wind howling was to just put a beach towell over the front half of the smoker.  It goes from the front side of the vent then drapes down over the door covering each side of the door.  No covering of the vent what so ever.

I had two butts - about 14 pounds and a 10 lb brisket. With the twoell cover I had 215 to 225* all night. 

TedEbear

First, thank you everyone for the quick replies and suggestions.

To answer a few questions about the low temp problem and unable to get the oven above 165*F, I did not use any extension cord, just plugged directly into an outdoor outlet.  The outlet is on a 20A GFCI circuit and there were no other things sharing it anywhere in the circuit at the time.  I figured it would take a bit longer to reach my desired 225*F cooking temp but after 15 hours it still wouldn't go above 165*F.  

It was probably 17*F overnight but there was not any significant wind blowing.  I had the vent open about 50%.  The smoker was under an overhang and nothing was dripping on it.  I know that electric things and water usually aren't happy with each other so I try to keep them apart.

While browsing the forums to see if anyone else had a similar problem with low heat I read several threads about adding dual elements, a PID controller and an air circulation fan.  I might go ahead and turbo charge my OBS with some of these ideas so that I don't have to deal with low temps again.  Right now the smoker is on my workbench in several pieces while I study the wiring and various ways to implement some of the ideas I read about.  I like to tinker.  Thanks again for your help, everybody.

starship

Work Bench?  Garage?  I have my OBS permanently in my garage, under a kitchen hood, ducted right outside.  My neighbors get all the smoke and smells.  ::) ::)
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Habanero Smoker

Adding a dual element will definitely help. As far as the 17°F ambient temperature, that in itself will not cause your temperature to drop so low, unless you didn't have the heat setting all the way to the right. I have smoked/cooked in colder ambient temperatures with loads slightly larger they yours, and have achieved cabinet temperatures of over 210°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)