smoked cheese

Started by GLD, December 29, 2010, 01:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLD

How come smoked cheese in the store is a light brown? The cheese pictures I see on this forum isn't. How long should we smoke cheese? I have been reading that many only smoke for 2 hrs. Does it get to strong the longer you smoke it?  Also what is frog mats? I am assuming it is a mat for cheese, but where can you get some? Thanks! GLD

Rckcrwlr

GLD...

The Dark brown on the outside of the "store" smoked cheeses, IMO is fake to make it look more appealing.  I usually smoke my cheeses for about 2 hours with a light smoke (Apple, Cherry, Pecan, etc).  Stay away from Hickory or Mesquite.

Depending on how soft the cheese is will vary the amount of smoke that it takes on plus how much heat it can take.  I try to keep my temps below 100*.  Cheeses like Pepper Jack or Gouda will start melting around that point.  Hard Cheeses like Hot Pepper Cheese(American, Provolone, Cheddar, etc. can withstand temps close to 120*.

The longer you smoke, the more smoke you will get but after 2 hours, it will overpower the cheese.  The real key is patience.  It took me a while to learn that.  After smoking the cheese, let it cool then place it in the fridge to harden back up.  After it is back to normal, vacuum seal it, mark the date on it...and forget about it for at least 3 weeks (longer is better). 

I have got in the habit of smoking cheese every couple weeks so that I always have some coming off the 3 week wait.

Frog Mats are a mesh that you place on the rack.  It has smaller openings and things don't stick to it.

I bought mine at Yardandpool.  You cannot beat the service and prices.

https://www.yardandpool.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HITEMPJRKY

Features

* Perfect for use on the Bradley Smokers and Masterbuilt Electric Smokers
    * USDA PTFE coated fiberglass screen
    * Max Operating Temperature - 550 Degrees
    * Superior Release
    * Flexibility
    * High operating temperature allows screen to be used for multiple applications
    * 3/16" Openings
    * Easy clean-up
    * USDA and FDA compliant for food processing and handling

Well worth the money.

John

FLBentRider

I've put four hours of Hickory on cheese. After a long rest in vac seal it's good.

A lot depends on the cheese. softer cheeses take smoke more readily.

Even more depends on your taste.

If you look closely at the ingredients on the smoked cheese from the store you may find "artificial color"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Jim O

I usually do my cheese with apple or hickory using the SG only and frog mats.

2 hours seems to work well for me and then vac seal and wait at least 2 weeks.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 29, 2010, 06:04:11 AM
I've put four hours of Hickory on cheese. After a long rest in vac seal it's good

Wow...what cheese took on that without losing the cheese taste?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on December 29, 2010, 06:37:58 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on December 29, 2010, 06:04:11 AM
I've put four hours of Hickory on cheese. After a long rest in vac seal it's good

Wow...what cheese took on that without losing the cheese taste?

To be honest I don't remember, it was probably an aged cheddar.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 29, 2010, 06:44:07 AM
To be honest I don't remember, it was probably an aged cheddar.

That would make sense.  I did an aged cheddar with  apple for 3 hours and it was lightly smoked.  I'll have to try it.