New to smoked jerky

Started by ajholt7, December 27, 2010, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajholt7

I've been making jerky in a dehydrator for years, but never in a smoker and I have a few questions. I have read of many people using a cure on the meat which is something I have never done before. What is the point of the cure?  After I am done with the smoke do I remove the water bowl?  Cabinet temp around 180? Any other tips or secrets?

KevinG

The cure is used to help prevent botulism when exposing meats to low temperatures for extended periods of time.

When you are done with the smoke, you can dump the spent bisquettes, but I would re-fill the bowl with hot water and put it back in the smoker just in case any dripping occurs.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

scoville

Try this recipe, all the salt in the soy sauce and teriyaki will act as a cure for the meat. I just started marinating some eye of round cut 3/16ths of an inch thick this morning and will smoke/dry in some hickory at 160 degrees for 6 to 8 hours tommorow. This does about 5lbs of meat, does a really nice job if your using brisket as well.

Anyway it works well for me, some don't like teriyaki but this is definitly worth a try add more cayenne or hot sauce to the cure if you like a little more heat or you can sprinkle pepper or ground pepper flakes on the slices before you dry them in the smoker.

15 - 20 oz. Soy Sauce - Any brand
15 oz. Worcestershire Sauce - Lea & Perrins - Preferred
15 - 20 oz. Teriyaki sauce - Any brand
2 - 4 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar - Any brand
2 - 4 tablespoons Garlic Powder - Any brand
2 - 4 tablespoons Onion Powder - Any brand
2 - 4 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper - Any brand
5 oz. bottle Liquid Smoke - Any brand any type- you can omit this if you are smoking the meat.
2 - 4 oz. Dark Corn Syrup or Molasses for even more flavor - Any brand
1 - Very Sharp Knife

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All ingredients can be more or less as you desire to your own taste except soy
& Worcestershire which can be more, you must have enough liquid to cover meat. Brown sugar and corn syrup or molasses can be to taste for sweetness or not used at all (SEE TIP BELOW***).
Add all liquid ingredients into container (with lid is preferred or cover with a plastic
wrap)  Now add all other ingredients into the container, stir frequently. Trim as much fat as
possible off the brisket or desired meat. It is the fat on the meat that will go bad (rancid) not the
meat. The meat is to be sliced with the grain as thin as possible (approx. 3/16").
To aid in slicing meat thinly, freeze until ice crystals are formed)
This allows for more slices and a quicker drying time. Place into marinade as sliced. Make sure
all meat is covered with the ingredients and stir meat occasionally to ensure all areas of
meat have been exposed to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more,
occasionally shaking or stirring the meat at least 2 more times.

Keymaster

Indy Smoker

Dry out at 200 and leave water in the bowl - vent WIDE open.  Takes 6-7 hours to dry out.
No dehydrator needed with the Bradley.

ajholt7

Thanks guys.  As always, great help here.

ajholt7

Just left Gander Mtn. with some new Jerky racks. I'm gonna start a marinade in the morning using the same recipe I use for the dehydrator.  I'll probably use 4 lbs. eye of round.  

2 pounds of lean beef.  
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

ajholt7