single burner for smoker

Started by stevesavy, March 30, 2004, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper39

adlee wow I can tell you have really been thinking about this. Thats pretty much the same process I went through.
Ok I will email pics.
 The hot plate is mounted from under the fridge ( in the compressor compartment) ONLY the element is actually in the fridge (smoking compartment) therefore I can go under (where the compressor was) and adjust the heat. I divided the compartment off in two sections. One side has the hot plate control the other is the entry point for the smoke generator. I cut another hole in the bottom of the fridge compartment for the smoke to enter the fridge. Therefore the hot plate is indeed above the generator. Because I divided the bottom compartment in two I can open the one side to adjust the heat and not open the fridge or open the side where the generator is busy pumping out smoke. If I do have a problem with the generator I can open up that side and not effect the heat. I bought the grates or racks at a place in Canada like Cabellas. They are a perfect 24 wide by 12.5 deep. They are used for placing above a camp fire, I just cut the legs off of them. They were cheap for nickle coated stainless, less than $10.00 each. I will take some good pics in the daylight Tuesday and email them to you. Please remember this is still a work in progress. Although very functional it needs a make over to really make it something I wouldn't mind showing off.
I had no problem with the coupler as mine is also very thick, BUT the bottom compartment is only single thick not double metal with insulation in between? I Actually lined the bottom comparment with 1 inch ply wood (thats how I divided the sections) piece of cake, no heat as the the element is closed off in the the upper sections. This will be easier to understand when you see the pics. Anyway it works AWESOME and I do not have some of the problems I read about in the forum (not enough heat, opening the door and loosing heat, too long to get up to heat etc.) BOught the thermostat at an appliance parts place the j coupler (heat probe) came with it. Explain to them there what you want  do and they will likely tell you exactly how to.

Snap

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

snapper39

adlee: tried to email you but it was rejected. Have a look and see if it is correct? Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

adlee88

It's been awhile but I finally finished building my smoker out of my parents old 1940's fridge. I actually only worked onthis ever so often when I had some extar time and eventually finished it in mid-August.

I've used it three times so far and have had excellent results!! The temp holds study (within 5 degrees +/-) with the thermostat) The only issue I have so far is that the lowest temp I can get w/o even using the hot plate is 150 degrees (just using the smoke generator). So I can't cold smoke as I would like to. I think I might have to put an extra vent on top to lower the temp. I'll experiment more.

I'm going to smoke some brisket, oysters and scallops this weekend. Can't wait!!

I'd like to insert some pictures for you to see!! It's cool!! Does anyone know how to do this using the image insert?

Thanks,
[8][8]

bsolomon

I can't seem to find the link right now, but someone was collecting the "best smoker stories" a while ago, and one of the responses was about someone who converted an old fridge into a smoker.  He later found out, after it caught on fire and burned up, that the insualtion used in those days was sawdust.  So be careful and make sure that the insulation in your fridge is not flammable.

adlee88

Thw insulation definitely isn't sawdust but ,ore like an earlier type of insultion that is used today. Don't know if it's flammable though. As of now the insultion is not exposed anywhere inside. Everything is completely sealed off and nothing should catch on fire. Let's hope not!!

Anyways I smoked the brisket, scallop and oysters and they all turned out just okay. They brisket tasted great but it could have been more tender. Cooked it for just over 12 hours but I think it could have used 1-2 more hours but I ran out of time. The scallops and oysters smoked great and were very tender but I need to adjust the taste and recipe.

One major issue has been coming up with the smoke generator and this is the transport system of the flavor bisqeuttes. Sometimes the system doesn't come back far enough or allow enough time for the next bisqeutte to fall onto the tray. So what ends up happening that no new bisqeuttes end up the tray unless I manually help the system. This is very tedious and the system is supposed to be automatic.

Can anyone tell me how to attach some images?

Smokin Joe

Hey there...

The posting you are looking for can be found at:

//www.carolinesrub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30

Hope that helps.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

Smokin Joe

BTW Adlee...

IMHO, it is far more important to cook a brisket based on internal temperature (180-185 for slicing, 190-195 for chopping) than it ever is based on time.  Quite regularly I will have one that plateaus and hangs out just below the "tender line" for several hours until it finally makes that leap from waste of meat to heavenly creation.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

Thunder Fish

I had a Mecco smoker before the BS.Mecco had offered a 2000 watt element instead of using charcoal. What I did was got a old stove  temp control for the larger burners and wired it to a electrical box with a plug on it and never had a problem with burn outs on any of the parts.As far as how hot it would get I'd only used it for fish and never took it all that hot but I also never ran it at full temp unless I wanted smoke NOW,that would lead to the odd fire (LOL)
 Lent the hook up to and friend [:(]  and now own a Bradley [:)]
Terry