First chicken in the smoker

Started by shane m, December 29, 2010, 06:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane m

Well I made Tandoori chicken last night. I brined it over night then marinated it in the tandoori mix for 5 hours. Then I smoked it for 3.5 hours. It loooked great and the smoker worked awsome. THe chicken was really salty. Is this common or was it because I brined it then marinated it. I am new to smoking foods so any help would br great.
Shane.

kinyo

I don't think the salty taste came from the smoker.

Probably the mix of brine & marinade was too salty.

Usually, I only brine or only marinate.

Others will also help you on that!

Kinyo

OU812

I would only brine or marinade, not both.

They both have allot of salt in them.

Now go do it again useing only one or the other.  ;D

TestRocket

So now you've got a good reason to smoke two more chicken meals trying one in the brine and the other in the marinate!

Your just experimenting until you find what you like best!  ;D

shane m

Sounds good. I have a five pound whole chicken in the freezer. I give that a try. I think that this  time I will just try brining it. I used cherry pucks, I think next time I will maybe try apple. I appreciate the help.

Smokeville

Quote from: shane m on December 29, 2010, 05:07:55 PM
Sounds good. I have a five pound whole chicken in the freezer. I give that a try. I think that this  time I will just try brining it. I used cherry pucks, I think next time I will maybe try apple. I appreciate the help.

Both cherry and apple are great. Try maple too. Or, a mixture. For a roaster like you've got, it will be the best chicken you ever ate.

Rich