bacon

Started by CLAREGO, August 06, 2005, 04:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

anybody have any suggenstion using high mountain buckboard bacon cure. i really want to use a pork belly. i want to hot smoke considering its summer it it will be hard to cold smoke right now. directions call for a butt or loin i imagine that if i use a belly im going to have to soak it in water for a longer period of time. Any input would be great

thanks all
clarence

Oldman

I've done BBB using a butt. It was not soaked. It is a dry cure where some liquid is formed. I would not be afraid to cure a belly 15 days,  using High Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure and then smoke it to 150F.

If you do us it let us know how it turned out.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Clarence,

You can NOT GO WRONG using the BBB method with an piece of pork you use.  Just so it's not getting over about 4" in thickness.

I'm sure you have been over to the curing threads-I have listed some detail of my method of bacon. CLICK HERE>>>>Mallard's Bacon Stuff

HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Duck Man I'm proud of you.... you have figured out the codings... congrats and welcome to the club. [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

yeah im a little afraid of using the belly but heck i wont until i try !

CLAREGO

now the question i have read mr mallard and check other smoker sites. the temp says 200 will i be risking it if i knock it down too 160 degress?

MallardWacker

Smoking at 200 till an internal of 165-167 is very short period of time. I don't see a problem with 200. My only concern is leaving meat hnging close to the bad zone for so long.  I am not for sure...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />now the question i have read mr mallard and check other smoker sites. the temp says 200 will i be risking it if i knock it down too 160 degress?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If I read this right you want to smoke the bacon at a temp of 160°f.  This will take an extremely long time.  I wouldn't think you would gain anything from such a slow cook time.  Not the bacon expert but just my 2 pennies.  If this wasn't what you were talking about please disregard[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

I concure with Jeff, he said it better than I.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Foam Steak

Its bacon and you are going to be frying it before you eat it anyway.  I have seen recipes only suggest reaching an internal temperature of 127-128F.  I have some other sources that recommend cold smoking at 85F.  I am sure 160F would be plenty hot.  

CLAREGO

gentelmen.... im concered with the amount of smoke flavoring it will give. but your right about the danger zone that will be cutting it
thanks all
clarego

MallardWacker

If you are making a loin type bacon (or even butt type) and you are worries about being done.  A internal to 155-160 should kill everything you have to be worried about from a cured piece of pork.  I smoke mine to a internal of 155 so I can eat it without cooking it again.  If you are doing bellies I don't see myself doing this and will probably frying it up anyway.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

CLAREGO

CLAREGO

MallardWacker

Clare of Go,

That looks very interesting.  I da-no about the hanging in the basement thing.  But that cut of meat sounds very intriguing.  Did like the references to nitrates...I always say to measure your cures as close to exact as you can with the weight of the meat...with that you will be ok.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas