bacon

Started by CLAREGO, August 06, 2005, 04:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

the directions on back of the pamphlet you get with the bbb says to cure it half the time if using fresh(side)bacon THAT WOULD ONLY BE 5 Days?? i tried to get in hold with high mountain seasoing via there chat board no one seems to answer questions and comments about this ?

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />i tried to get in hold with high mountain seasoing via there chat board no one seems to answer questions and comments about this ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well there's perfect proof why you come here instead of there![;)]

Although I don't have the answer, someone else will soon, I'm sure.[8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />the directions on back of the pamphlet you get with the bbb says to cure it half the time if using fresh(side)bacon THAT WOULD ONLY BE 5 Days?? i tried to get in hold with high mountain seasoning via there chat board no one seems to answer questions and comments about this ?
I'm sure they are correct with this due to the fact that the belly is a thinner piece of meat compared to a butt and does not have to penetrate as far, you can leave it in longer with no problem if you are unsure about it. I used BBB ONCE and did not like the results, it was OK but I thought I could do better. In my notes I get my cure from Butcher-Packer, I started off just following the BBB notes and have always come out with great results. Going longer is fine, will increase the cure flavor---just like I said previously YOU WILL HAVE TO RINCE, SOAK and PREPEAT SEVERAL TIMES or it will come out salty, especially if you leave in the cure longer. If you forget just read the back of your shampoo bottle[:D].

Don't sweat this, it's easier than you think.

Keep us informed and we'll get-cha some bacon!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

I agree. A little longer on the curing won't hurt. Its just a thinner piece of meat so it doesn't take as long to cure. Remember to rince and soak and when you think its been rinsed enough, do it again. Too much salt if you don't.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"> I used BBB ONCE and did not like the results, it was OK but I thought I could do better.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Interesting... did you do a butt or a belly? I thought BBB was pretty good. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">In my notes I get my cure from Butcher-Packer, I started off just following the BBB notes and have always come out with great results.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Link me up and explain a little more clearly. Thanks!

Someone here posting about seeing maple syrup added to a cured ham under a vacuum. I thought that the next time I did a BBB I would try that after I smoked it, and then glaze the syrup real quick under a hot broiler.

Note I'm thinking  I might render down, using a double boiler, the maple syrup to thicken it some first.

Any idea folks?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

olds... im using a belly (fresh side) maple syrup sounds good i thought of using some molasses.i am 6 days into the process. flip it yesterday  ill have to post some pics...
thanks old

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I used BBB ONCE and did not like the results, it was OK but I thought I could do better.

<font size="2">Interesting... did you do a butt or a belly? I thought BBB was pretty good.</font id="size2"> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The issue with the Butcher-Packer cures is that you can get different types and flavors.  I just didn't like the "type" of flavor that I got with BBB and I wanted something a bit more novel or different if I was going to go through all the trouble and make "my own" bacon.  And as far as what I used, in the beginning I used butts and I only use loins now.  I think loins make a great end product, easy to handle-no boning.  There are a lot of little things that come together that makes a loin the cut of meat to use.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In my notes I get my cure from Butcher-Packer, I started off just following the BBB notes and have always come out with great results.

<font size="2">Link me up and explain a little more clearly. Thanks</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds, I am sure you have seen this before, but if not CLICK HERE&gt;&gt;&gt;Mallard's Notes on Bacon Making

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Someone here posting about seeing maple syrup added to a cured ham under a vacuum. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I did mention this, I saw some guy up in the North East after he dried cured his ham he then put them in a commercial size vacuum REVO type deal with pure Maple syrup, then he smoked them.  Since I am probably not going to get a REVO any time soon, I thought I would vacuum  bag the cured loin (after rinsing) with Maple syrup for a day before I smoke it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I thought that the next time I did a BBB I would try that after I smoked it, and then glaze the syrup real quick under a hot broiler<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What I did with Project Intense Maple I mixed a combination of Maple syrup and Maple sugar and made a thick paste and put in on top of the meat before I smoked it.

HTH's

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

HCT

What is the 'bad zone.'

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

CLAREGO

I dont have much liquid coming from the belly does anyone know if this can be a problem ?

jaeger

Clarego,
The bellie will cure fine as long as you followed directions regarding amounts of cure and recommended cure time. The amount of purge will vary depending on size, leaness, temperature etc.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

MallardWacker

<br />I don't have much liquid coming from the belly does anyone know if this can be a problem ?

Clare of Go,

No problem at all.  It will depend on each piece of meat.  I have had both extremes when curing, a ton of fluid and just a little. If you had NO LIQUID and it looked  exactly the same before you rubbed down the meat you might have a problem.  One other thing you will observe, the meat will firm/tighten up.  Sounds like it it is working just fine.  Now don't go back in there and add more cure, this is not an EYE-BALL thing going on here.  If you measured your cure in the beginning correctly, just leave it at that.  Too much cure-BAD THING Tonto.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

CLAREGO

just finished the bacon letting it sit in the smoker per directions..
post you all on how it turned out
clarence

MallardWacker

Bring it on....Clarego.  Bacon[:p] to me is always a great way to use your BS.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

CLAREGO

Better than store bought i have to say.... Heres my story cured my belly for 8 days with high mountain seasoning(they say only have to cure for 5 for regular side bacon). using 5.25 of pork belly,freshside(by the way they call it freah bacon around this town)put 5lbs of the cure on the bad boy i only ordered 5lbs didnt look at the sticker on the bacon until after applying the cure. did not get that much liquid from it and i did have it in the fridge for at least 3 days until I applyed the rub. so yesterday I turned the bs on while i was in the process of soaking the belly. i dump the liquid out and filled it up with fresh water rub the heck out of it under water then let it sit for about a half an hour. change the water again rub it under water and let it sit another 45 minutes in water.(a total of one hour and 15 minutes) i then dumped all the water out and let it sit for app 1 hour and had a fan on it for a half of an hour. i did not follow the instructions of high mountain it said to start the smoker up at 150 degrees. DID NOT DO THAT. I read on a post the person doing that did not get much smoke flavor from that of course he was using a loin.. so i set it at 190-210 degress.http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/buckboardbacon.html//(check  this out for all who's trying bacon) i did apply his thinking a little but we were going at too differnt types of meat.(more time to apply smoke) the results were GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! the cons of it is i have a cheap slicer from rival (((WALMART SPEACIAL))) maybe i will have to try fat side down on this or purchase a better slicer . I had it fat side up beacuse usally thats works with any type of meat but it didnt cut how i wanted it to the meat part on the bacon was tough so i didnt get a perfect cut.. the end results were better then great using a belly it had a better taste than store bought with the equal amount of salty taste i would recomend this to everyone[:)]
THATS MY EXPERIANCE
CLARENCE

MallardWacker

Go of Clare,

That is why I like bacon so much.  Unlike other processes(I think jerky making would fit into this also)you can experiment quite a bit and get some distinctable results.  Unlike smoking a butt, you can inject it, rub it, do the funk with it and you still only get marginal differences, not saying that it is bad, it's just bacon gives you greater latitude. Glad the bacon came out for you!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas