stuffed banana peppers

Started by DOUG3D, December 31, 2010, 07:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOUG3D

I was thinking of trying my new cold smoke attachment out for new years, anyone have any thoughts or ideas on putting a cold smoke on stuffed peppers? My thought was to prepare the peppers and put in smoker for 1 hour cold smoke and then in oven to finish.

BuyLowSellHigh

Why cold smoke ?  Why not smoke and cook in the Bradley ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DOUG3D

Thats a good point, I guess I was looking for a reason to try the cold smoker! Any suggestions on doing them in the bradley?

FLBentRider

Stuff them and wrap with bacon, hot smoke @225F for 2-3 hours.

Cold smoke = Cheese
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DOUG3D

how much smoke would you suggest? and is the bacon a must? I was looking to just give our normal pepper recipe a new flavor

BuyLowSellHigh

No, bacon is not required.  If you have a recipe in mind and just want to smoke/cook them in your Bradley it should be very doable.

The one example I readily recall was Pachanga's Chile Relleno (stuffed Poblano pepper) that was part of his winning Iron Chef Bradley menu.  Here's a link - scroll down and read through to see how he prepared and cooked the Chile Relleno.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12056.msg140213#msg140213
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

pensrock

You can still use the cold smoke attachment, only this time you will also be using the heat. Should work just fine. Remember to preheat the puck burner so its hot when the first puck goes on.

Habanero Smoker

I've made smoked bell peppers a couple of ways in the smoker. I would prepare the stuffed peppers as I would normally do with a fully cooked stuffing, and instead of cooking in the oven I would smoke/cook them in the Bradley at 225°F, applying 1 to 1.5 hours of pecan until they were done.

I have also just cold smoke the peppers prior to stuffing and finished them in the oven. The texture of the peppers is much better. First I parboil them for one minute, and cool quickly in ice water. Next pat dry; cut the tops off the bell peppers, and remove the seeds and ribs. Place them top side down on a rack. and into the Bradley to cold smoke for 1 - 1.5 hours. Remove from smoker, and slice a little off the bottom so they will stand (be careful not to slice too much off the bottom - you don't want any openings). Stuff and finish cooking in the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DOUG3D

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input, the peppers came out very good! I took habs advice and cold smoked the peppers for 1:20 then brought into house stuffed and finished in oven. I also halved the peppers before they went into the smoker. It was a nice twist!

DTAggie

Welcome Doug and glad it worked out.  Post some pics next time.