Spyguy curing question from a newbie

Started by TrippingBilly, December 31, 2010, 05:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrippingBilly

I just got my OBS for Christmas and am hooked to the thing... and this forum!

I decided to try Spyguy's smoked salmon process and I'm at a critical stage.  I used albs of salmon, skin on, and brined it for 7 hours.  I wrapped it Saran wrap as I didn't have a container big enough and when I took it out, it had shrunk but was far from very stiff  There was considerable liquid that had collected and the fish was red, however it didn't match the consistency I was expecting.  I trusted the process and put it in the wet brine overnight and I used the small batch recipe on the bottom ( I doubled it ) and the fish is now drying, but it is not stiff or firm at all. 

My concern is whether it is full cured, is there a way to tell?  Outside of not using a container for the dry brine, I have followed it to the letter.

Any help is appreciated!

Keymaster

I can't tell how many pounds you did but seems your following directions correctly. What kind of salmon did you use, was the skin a nice bright silver?

TrippingBilly

I used Sockeye Salmon and the skin was indeed bright and silver.  I just cut a little off and it tasted fantastic, not too salty but what you would expect from lox, just without the smoke.  As I am thinking (read: Obsessing) about it, I believe the fish was much stiffer last night when took it out of the dry cure then it softened back up in the wet brine... that seems logical, right?  I didn't see in Spyguy's instructions where he referenced the consistency post wet brine.

I'm waiting for it to dry right now and will be putting it in shortly.  Thanks for the quick post, TB

Keymaster

I think you will be fine, sounds like your following instructions to the T, If you can , post a couple pics  ;D

TrippingBilly

Salmon is in, 2 hours of smoke... here is the pre-pics ->

TrippingBilly

Keymaster

Habanero Smoker

If you followed the recipe you should be alright. Terms like firm, and soft are subjective, and what may be firm to me, may not be for someone else. After the salmon are taken out of the wet brine and soaked, they do loose some of it's firmness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)