My kinda Canadian bacon

Started by OU812, December 11, 2010, 07:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 20, 2010, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: OU812 on December 20, 2010, 10:39:09 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on December 20, 2010, 10:12:23 AM

Nice!

I'm going to hang my next ones to get that pretty uniform shape..  Punchlock sent me like a 1000 ham bags.   :D

A ham bag might be a little big.  ;D

Maybe I'll put the loins in sideways, then.    :D

Maybe put in the ham bag and roll tight then use some hog rings or string to hold it thigh and small.

OU812

I almost forgot the last part of this.  ::)

Sliced and ready to package, one down, one to go.

All finished, slicing anyway.  :D

Vac sealed in 8 oz packages and one just wrapped in plastic to make some goodies with. :D

Gooood stuff!!

squirtthecat

MMMMM, tasty!

Speaking of..  I've got some here in the fridge.  Might be lunch!

BuyLowSellHigh

That sure looks good!

We're down to the last pound from the previous batch - time to do some more, soon.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Very nice! One day soon I hope to be trying that!

Indy Smoker

I want some. . . Who's got this recipe ??

jiggerjams

Looks great. Nice presentation. When does the meat counter open?

OU812

Quote from: Indy Smoker on December 27, 2010, 08:56:09 PM
I want some. . . Who's got this recipe ??

I got this recipe......at home.  ;D

I will post it later tonight.

OU812

Damn It!

Was working on the recipe post and poof!

Had it all down then it just went away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will re post in the morning.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

OU812

The Brine.

1 cup Morton Coarse Kosher salt
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 Bay leaves crushed
1 Tab granulated garlic
1 rounded Tab whole allspice
1 rounded Tab whole juniper berries
1 rounded Tab whole black pepper corns
3 Tab Penzeys cajun spice
2 1/2 tea cure #1
1/4 cup pure honey
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
1 gal water

Add all But the cure, honey and jack to 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally till you can smell the flagrance of the spices, around 20 min.

Remove from the heat allow to cool below 140 F then add the cure, honey and jack.

Pour the brine in your curing bucket and stir in ice till you end up with 1 gallon.

Check the temp of the brine, you dont want to put the meat in till the brine is below 40 F

Place the meat in the brine and keep it submerged with a heavy plate.

Put your brine bucket in the fridge, then overhaul every other night for a week.

When the week is done rinse the meat under cold running water, place on a inverted rack with a drip pan under it for 24 hr turn over at the 12 hr mark.

When smoking remove from the fridge and let sit at room temp for at least an hr.

Warm up the smoker to 250 F for an hr, load up 3 hr Pecan and as soon as the smoke starts rolling put in the meat, the closer to the top the better.

Smoke/cook at 250 F till the IT loins hits 145-150

Remove and let cool at room temp for 2 hr then wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for 2 days.

After the fridge time slice and enjoy.

OU812

Made some eggs Benedict the other day, didnt have any muffins so I cut the crust off some sour bread and toasted it and dropped on some warmed CB.

A couple home grown eggs and smothered in Hollandaise sauce and a dash of smoked paprika.

Good stuff!

Brisket Lover

That looks so good. I've been wanting to do a CB fo years but can never find cure at the grocery store.

I found this website http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=237_12&zenid=ba6eab85189fce2ff597852bb0cea40e

Is the pink stuff cure #1?

OU812

Yep.

This is the one you want.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237_12&products_id=55&zenid=ba6eab85189fce2ff597852bb0cea40e

You can use Morton Tender Quick too.

1Tab TQ per pound and 1 Tab brown sugar per pound works good as a dry cure.