Candied Salmon Extravaganzas

Started by shane m, January 01, 2011, 06:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane m

My wife and I found this fantastic fish market in Edmonton on the weekend. They had so many types of fresh wild BC salmon I couldn't resist. So I picked up some pink salmon to try my hand at Candied Salmon. It is a fairly long process. Not difficult but long. The hardest part was finding a recipe that appealed to me. This smoker is unbelievably easy. It turned out great. The only thing I would do next time would to be to do two or three whole salmons at a time. For the amount of work it is better to a bunch. Thanks for the help with recipes Gen loves it.

GusRobin

Hmmmm- no pictures, it didn't happen ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

shane m

I am new to this forum thing. When I figure out how to also post pics I will do my best to add pics for everyone to see. ;)

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

shane m

Thanks for the link I will give it a try

Smokeville

And, Shane, please share the recipe you liked the best!

lumpy

Here is my recipe that has my friends drooling for more.

SALMON CANDY

4.5 L cold water
1.5 cups of soy sauce
1 cup Kosher salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tb garlic power
1.5 tb cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups maple syrup

marinate in fridge for 24 hours

drain liquid and let dry off
put in ziplock with 1 cup maple syrup and toss for several minutes
glaze for 4 hours with fan on salmon strips

in smoker with 8 pucks of apple
120F for 2 hours
140F for 3 hours
175F for 1-3 hours until done

let cool
vacuum pack and freeze

Brisket Lover

Mmmm sounds great. What let's you know when it is done?

shane m

Here we go:
The recipe that I used was,
3 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup kosher salt
1 liter of water
I only had one fillet to brine. You could fit more in the brine but if you were to do quite a bit more you might to double it.
Smoked for two hours with maple, no heat just smoke. Then turned off smoker and heated at 200 for three hours. Gen said it could have used at little less. Maybe 2.5 hours.

Brisket Lover

I'm going to have to run to the store and get some. I wish we had a fresh market in the area.  Hopefully they have "fresh" and not frozen.

Smokeville

These recipes are making me hungry (It's noon hour and I haven't had lunch yet).....

If only maple syrup didn't cost so much. Here the cheapest place is Costco and it's $14 a litre, so a cup costs about $3.50. That explains why really good Indian candy costs so much!

Rich

shane m

Expensive but worth it. It varies here depending on how fancy you want it.

micman

Hi Shane try this recipe, it is a simple dry rub and not all that expensive.
  one part coarse salt to 2 parts brown sugar. I use Demera dark brown sugar, if you like it saltier you can up the salt content a little more, I know some guys that do equal parts salt and sugar. Little to salty for me. Is good with beer thou.
  Coat all part of the fish and set on a rack on an angle and let set for a couple hours. the salt will draw the moisture from the fish and the sugar will candy it. When it starts to feel leathery, I take the fish and rinse off and wipe dry and then let it air dry until it gets its leathery texture feeling again. Place in smoker and when done, enjoy.
micman ;D

Quarlow

Quote from: Brisket Lover on January 02, 2011, 11:48:49 AM
I'm going to have to run to the store and get some. I wish we had a fresh market in the area.  Hopefully they have "fresh" and not frozen.
Don't be afraid of using frozen fish. In fact I freeze all mine before making smoked salmon.
And you definetly want to fill the smoker when you make a batch. I get about 27 lbs in my OBS.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Brisket Lover

Alright I'm going to do it this weekend. BJs has some large salmon filets. His will be my first try with fish n the Bradley.

Now I can do a full batch but how do you save the leftovers?  Do they keep well?