Wild Mushroom Soup

Started by Smoking Duck, January 02, 2011, 09:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all....been reading a lot but haven't had much to offer lately.  However, I tried something over the Christmas holiday and think you'd like it.

I used some dehydrated porcinis that I had (about 2 cups) and let them soak in warm water for 30 minutes. While that was going on, I thinly sliced 2 leeks, roughly chopped up 2 shallots and 3 cloves of garlic. I heated about 3 tbls of olive oil and 2 tsp of butter in a stock pot. Then I cooked the leeks, shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes to tenderize them but not brown them. After that, I sliced up about 8 oz of mini bella mushrooms and some oyster mushrooms and threw them in to the point they started to get tender. After that, I added 6 cups of beef stock and brought it to a boil. While waiting for it to boil, I removed the porcinis from the water, squeezed out the water and roughly chopped up the porcinis. When it started to boil, I added the porcinis as well as the water from the soaking mushrooms (I strained it first). I also then added about 1 tsp of thyme, and some salt and pepper (about 2 tsp of each). After that, I let it simmer with the pot half covered for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark, I poured about 3/4 of the soup in the food processor (a blender will work also) and chopped it up pretty good. I then returned the soup to the pot and added about one cup of heavy cream. More salt and pepper to taste. Served with a crusty italian bread and that's it.

If you like mushrooms, this is a great soup.  If you don't like mushrooms, well, I guess I don't know what to say.  Happy New Year all.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

BuyLowSellHigh

Oh that sounds about perfect!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smokin Soon

Soup sounds great! Glad to see you poke yer head in every once and a while. Hope all is well with you. Still up in Holland?

ArnieM

I'm not a big soup fan but I love mushrooms.  The recipe looks terrific!  It is bookmarked and thanks for posting.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Up In Smoke

Bookmarked this one.
Good to know you are still hanging around SD!!
Hope all is going well.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

ArnieM

I sent the recipe out to a few friends and have already got "Gotta do it!" replies.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

So you take 3/4 of the whole pot of soup and put it in the food processor?

I just want to make sure I read that right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 02, 2011, 10:45:41 AM
So you take 3/4 of the whole pot of soup and put it in the food processor?

I just want to make sure I read that right.

Yep or the blender.....I think if you wanted more of a creamier soup, you could do the whole thing.  I love mushrooms and big slices of mushrooms so I only did 3/4 of it but I might try doing the whole thing next time.  If I did the whole thing, I'd have to use the blender as 3/4 of it just about filled up the whole food processor.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 02, 2011, 09:36:46 AM
Soup sounds great! Glad to see you poke yer head in every once and a while. Hope all is well with you. Still up in Holland?

Yep, still here and loving it!

Mr Walleye

Hey Marc!

Great to see ya on the forum! I hope things are going good for you.

Oh ya... The mushroom soup sounds excellent!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Hi Marc;

Happy New Years.

I like mushrooms so I will be checking out this recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Good to hear from ya Marc  ;D

Tenpoint5

Glad to see your still kicking and scratching Marc
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Poolshark

That is a great recipe...very similar to the one I make. I use about a pound of different wild mushrooms, saute them with garlic and onions, add in some stock and a little thyme and  S&P, then use an immusion blender and get it nice and smooth. I then add in some cream and some andouille sausage to kick it up a lil bit.

Yours sounds great too...I will give it a shot! Thanks for sharing!

Caneyscud

I usually don't get that far to blend them or process them.  About the time they come out of the saute pan, they disappear!  But that recipe sounds so good, I might just to have force myself to do the soup!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"