A-Maze-N Smoked Cheese

Started by SnellySmokesEm, January 03, 2011, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

So its been a week since I cold smoked the cheese and I couldnt take it anymore so I opened up one of the Smoked Chedder.  ;D ;D ;D Man it was good.  I mean really good!  So now I have a question.  I have 3 other blocks vac sealed in the fridge.  How long will they stay good?  Can I freeze them?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

GusRobin

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 08, 2011, 10:55:33 AM
  How long will they stay good?  Can I freeze them?
Usually cheese doesn't freeze well. It becomes crumbly. Folks have kept vac sealed cheese in the fridge for months. One of my friends doesn't even begin to eat his for at least 3 months. Others have kept as long as a year. If by chance it starts some green mold (very unlikely if vac sealed) just cut is off.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 08, 2011, 10:55:33 AM
So its been a week since I cold smoked the cheese and I couldnt take it anymore so I opened up one of the Smoked Chedder.  ;D ;D ;D Man it was good.  I mean really good!  So now I have a question.  I have 3 other blocks vac sealed in the fridge.  How long will they stay good?  Can I freeze them?

Look at the dates on the cheese. Some of the cheese I just bought has late 2011 dates.

I have found a block in the back of the fridge that I smoked a year later and it was good.

Freezing cheese tends to make it crumbly
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

QuoteI have 3 other blocks vac sealed in the fridge.  How long will they stay good?  Can I freeze them?
I would not freeze cheese, last time I did it came out dry and crumbly.
I rarely even vac pack my cheese, I have smoked cheese in the fridge that I did about 12-14 months ago and its as good as it was when I put it in there. I wrap with plastic wrap and put into a zip bag, thats all.

SnellySmokesEm

BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

I guess the cheese turned out well.  My friends wife just brought me over some cheese to smoke for there superbowl party!
BBQ Evangelist