Easy meatballs...

Started by irish_smoker, January 03, 2011, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_smoker

I regret not taking any pictures, but for new Years Eve we had some warm weather roll through central Indiana here so I got out the bradley for a quick smoke.  I just bought a 6lb bag of 1oz frozen beef meatballs from Sam's.  Spread them out over two trays and popped them in the smoker under a another tray lined with some thick maple bacon.  Smoked for about 1.5-2 hours with Jim Beam oak pucks.  I then dropped the meatballs into a crockpot with some sweet baby rays, and sprinkled in some of my pulled pork dry rub.  I then took the bacon and crisped it up in the oven, then crumbled it into the crockpot as well. 

Got fantastic reviews, several people were asking what I used to make the meatballs....I finally had to confess and tell them I got them at the store frozen...people thought they were handmade.  Anyways, just wanted to pass along a simple appetizer that doesn't require much work.

Caneyscud

Just wondering what you call it?  Protein Overload?  perhaps.  That sounds killer!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Sounds good.  Next time you can do it all in the Bradley.  Sprinkle some of your dry rub on the meatballs and the bacon.  Wrap the bacon around each meatball and smoke/cook.  Prior to removing them, glaze each one with your BBQ sauce.  Bingo, mooink balls!

irish_smoker

QuoteSounds good.  Next time you can do it all in the Bradley.  Sprinkle some of your dry rub on the meatballs and the bacon.  Wrap the bacon around each meatball and smoke/cook.  Prior to removing them, glaze each one with your BBQ sauce.  Bingo, mooink balls!

Mooink balls, I like it!   ;D

Caneyscud

and get creative with the glaze - of course BBQ sauce works, but the people you are feeding might thank you.

A sweet bourbon sauce works good
A hot pepper jelly glaze works good
An Apricot Jam glaze works good
I found some fig spread at Whole Paycheck the other day that would probably be good
Last ones I did were glazed with a mixture of a thin sweet/hot sauce with coconut cream and crushed pineapple.  They were a hit with
    the female eaters
I'm going to try a mixture of cherries and bourbon next time.  Inspired by a corporate gift of chocolate covered soused cherries that were
    outstanding
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

irish_smoker

Quoteand get creative with the glaze

Funny you say that, a friend of mine just told me that next time I'm at the office...I work from home...he has a jar of bacon jam for me to try.  Interesting.  I've also got some homemade sweet/sour sauce and some other homemade egg roll dipping sauces (my wife's filipino) that might be pretty good too.  

Thanks for the suggestion Caneyscud, you got me thinking of some new ideas.

SL2010

what brand meatball were they i would like to try that but i have never fond a frozen meatball that i liked

wyoduke

I use walley world  not bad
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SL2010

The best one i ever found were mama rosa from walley mart

TestRocket

Another thing to try is mix equal parts of your favorite BBQ sauce and CGJ (cheap grape jelly). It's good!     ;D

wyoduke

I used carolina treet on mine today num num ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Tenpoint5

Would like to see you friends Bacon Jam recipe. I just found one today that I tried. Will do a final taste test in the morning.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

irish_smoker

Quotewhat brand meatball were they i would like to try that but i have never fond a frozen meatball that i liked

I can't remember, I got them from Sam's Club.  They had 2 different kinds, one was 1oz per ball.....giggle...and then other brand was like 5/8 an oz.  So I of course went with the bigger ball....pun intended.

wyoduke

AC/DC WEVE GOT THE BIGGEST BALLS OF THEM ALL -BALL SACKA
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill