Smoked deep fried turkey

Started by Stilly, January 04, 2011, 07:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stilly

I tried using the search option for this one to prevent a repetitive post but had no luck.  Anyway, I am planning on doing a turkey this weekend and wanted to try out the smoked than deep fried thing.

I was planning on first cold smoking my 12lb'r for about 3 hours with hickory than deep frying for about 3 min/lb. 

Anyone ever do this?  Does the bird retain its smoke flavor? 

Any thoughts/suggestions? ;D

Brisket Lover

Sounds good, what temp do you plan on cold smoking at?

Stilly

what ever temperature it is outside..40ish maybe less

smoker pete

I'm no expert by any means but it is safe to cold smoke a turkey for 3 hours and then deep fry it?

Why not just smoke the turkey with 3 hours of hickory at a temp of 250º and then finish it in the deep fryer?  I just smoked a 9 lb bone-in turkey breast in the OBS for 3 hrs @ 250º and then finished it in the SRG yesterday and it came out great.  See http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20180.0  Deep frying and using the SRG is basically the same except with the SRG I don't have to use oil.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Brisket Lover

I was thinking the same thing.  I think three hours is too long.  I would do the same smoke then finish in TBE.

Stilly

Its only hitting about 35 degrees here.  Why would cold smoking at that temp be any different that keeping the bird in the fridge?

lumpy

I have smoked wings (in the winter) for 1.5 hours then finished them off in the deep fryer.

They were great

Fernslinger

I cold smoked a turkey and then fried it this year for thanksgiving. It came out great!

Redneckinthecity

Hope this reply isn't too late to help.  I have done a brined/cold smoked/ fried bird.  It is always preferred by my wife's extended family (and me) over the roasted bird that we also serve.

Here's how I do it:

Brine bird with Pachanga's brine for 24 hours or so: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12644.0

Take out of brine and allow to dry in fridge until tacky.  Cold-smoke for about 3 hours (I've used apple and/or pecan).  It's usually cold enough I don't worry about the temp.  Cabinet temp never gets over 100, and bird temp stays fairly safe.  My opinion is that if you move it straight from smoker to fryer and cook adequately, you're probably fine.

Remember, though, that the bird temp does rise some in the smoker, and you probably can reduce cooking time from other formulas (some call for 3-5 mins/pound; I use about 2.5 mins/pound, and verify internal temp (minimum 165) with a thermometer) for frying turkeys.

Good luck!

wkahler

Tag............I like this idea, especially since i just bought a new Bayou fryer!!  Just have to try and figure out a cold smoke idea in my Traeger LOL!!  I guess worse case i just cuts down on the fry time per pound!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!