help with 1st chicken!

Started by chiroken, January 14, 2011, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

OK, I've seen way too many birds done that look way too tasty to not try. This weekend I'm off jerky and smoked salmon and going to give chicken a go. I've been scolling through pages here and really not sure of the process.

Main questions are prep, temp, and time.

This weekend I want to wrap bacon around chicken breasts. A recent post had me drooling...

Not sure if I'll find those dandy silicon rubber bands, what else can I use to hold on the bacon?

How to prep/spice the chicken? I don't have any rubs or anything. I do have several sauces like Hoisin or different spiced chutneys. Could I apply those to the chicken and then bacon wrap? Any other spicing suggestions?

Smoke time for 2 hours good enough? This is the time I use for jerky and candied salmon. I"ll be using Alder.

Temperature? Is it slowly raised like jerky or what? I don't have a fancy temp probe, I do have the basic manual stick it in and read it kind. For the future, what is the price range for a digital that sits on top with the probe through the vent?

And I have no idea about time? Of course this will be temp dependant. I would most likely do 4 or 5 half breasts.

And the bacon will remain soft. How best to crisp it just abit? Put it under the broiler for a short time or something? Will this dry out the chicken?

Down the road I'll be looking to do a whole bird.

Thanks a ton for the help.

Ken
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

FLBentRider

You can use toothpicks to hold the bacon on.

I've done them without any seasoning, I've also added a rub.

2 hours of smoke is a good place to start.

Chicken - I do at 225-250 or whatever the box will do. "floor it"

I put them under the broiler for about 3 minutes just to crisp the bacon.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

what else can I use to hold on the bacon?
Tooth picks or cooton string.

How to prep/spice the chicken?
Plain old salt N pepper will do.

Smoke time for 2 hours good enough?
Prefict.

I"ll be using Alder.
Good choice, Apple is good with poultry also.

Temperature?
Set the smoker at 250 F and pull them out when the IT hits 165 F

And I have no idea about time?
You dont go by time, go by IT but with breasts I'd say 2 or 3 hr

Put it under the broiler for a short time or something?
Yes, just long enough to start to crisp then turn over.

Will this dry out the chicken?
The bacon will keep it moist.

Good luck

Rad Rich

Hello, I use a run from a local meat store.  Cheap and good.  I got my temp prbe at loews it as 20 bucks.  The rubber band things were at bed bath and beyond got 20 f them for 5 bucks
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

chiroken

What about the vent??? Forgot to ask about that. Closed only to let the probe cable through? I assume moisture is not wanting to be lost at all.

Which rack? I've got 5 - 1/2 breasts, should fit on 2 trays. Which 2 to use? Still need to rotate the trays like jerky/salmon???

Thanks for the info, any more suggestions please keep 'em coming. I picked up a digital thermometer probe at Canadian Tire, $20, said silicone probe so I assume that means the outer cord material so she doesn't melt! The other option was a stainless steel braided cord but that looks like alot more work to clean all those little nooks and crannies.

I'm going to vary the spices, Montreal's Chicken (rather than the peppery steak) spice, I've got a cajun mix as well. will sprinkle it on prior to wrapping in bacon. We'll see how she goes!

Temperature: I'll crank it up and see how hot it'll get. I'll be up the ski hill at the condo (feel very spoiled making 5 lbs of jerky on the condo deck while I'm out skiing!!!) so it'll be just below freezing most likely this weekend.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

FLBentRider

Poultry = vent wide open

You want to get rid of the moisture. Not so much with skinless, but in general the rule of thumb is open for poultry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Moisture trapped in a Bradley will knock down the temp in the tower and will condensate on the top of the tower and "rain" this nasty black stuff all over your food and will also run out under the door and stain a patio or deck.(Don't ask me how I know, just trust me on that one :-[)

FLBR has you straight on the vent.  Wide open!