New 4 Rack, producing no smoke

Started by adriandb, January 04, 2011, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriandb

Hello all. I just unpacked my new 4-rack smoker, followed the set up instructions and started the break in process by loading in 5 pucks. At first the puck advance button got stuck and it was just letting them rip. I solved that one with a little DW-40. The issue i'm faced with is that I'm getting no smoke and the pucks are coming out unburnt and cool to the touch.

I've searched for similar issues and tried unplugging all connections and replugging them back in. The temp in the box is getting up to where I want it so I don't think power is the issue. The pucks appear to be advancing in 20 min intervals. Any advice?

classicrockgriller

you must have a wire not connected in the smoke generator.

Is it a BDS (digital) or OBS?

adriandb

OBS. Maybe I'm not fully understanding when the smoke is generated. Is the puck toasted while in the side box or while on the tray leading to the water bowl?

Thanks for the help BTW.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: adriandb on January 04, 2011, 08:38:47 PM
OBS. Maybe I'm not fully understanding when the smoke is generated. Is the puck toasted while in the side box or while on the tray leading to the water bowl?

Thanks for the help BTW.

NP! it is on the tray right before it drops off into the water.

Is that NOT getting hot?

DTAggie

Adrian, when you first start smoking, you have to push the puck advance button 3 times to get the first puck on the tray.   If it was continually advancing them, they would not have enough time to heat.  You can turn the smoke generator on with no pucks in the tube, wait a few minutes and then see if you feel any heat coming off the plate.  If not, you have a lose wire inside the generator box.

adriandb

OK I have a feeling that several issues combined to create this situation.

A) Stuck puck advance button firing the pucks in as fast as possible. I've fixed this issue.
B) Cold temperatures, currently 34 degrees in N VA and I didn't allow it to preheat.
C) Me being a total n00b and not realizing that the pucks would smoke while on the tray.

The tray is getting hot, I have a nice burn on my finger to prove this one. I thought the pucks would start producing smoke before they hit that tray so when they got there and weren't already smoking I assumed there was an issue.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. I have some ribs for this weekend and I want to make sure I'm ready.

Thanks again for the assistance.

classicrockgriller

Tito is right.
The gen smoker should be turned on 20 minutes or so before advancing a puck to the hot plate.

Also if you use 5 pucks you will only advance three to burn.

That is why alot of people get what is called bubba (false) pucks.

adriandb

I've already read about bubba pucks and plan to invest in some before I set out to smoke something else next week. Are there specific bubba pucks you recommend?

classicrockgriller

First you don't have to have Bubba Pucks.

You just need to load 2 more Bradley wood pucks to get the amount of smoke you want.

After the last 20 minutes of smoke, turn off the smoke gen and knock the last puck on the burner into the water with a screw driver.

The Bubba pucks are nice in that if you are simple minded like me you can forget about turning off the smoke gen until you feel like it.

There are several people that supply them. www.yardandpool.com is a great one and a Forum member but I got mine from the same

people that make the PID for the Bradley.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=111

TedEbear

Either that or find some tubing with a thick wall that is the same diameter as the pressed pucks and cut your own to the same height.  One person I recently read about on here made his out of leftover SS exhaust pipe.  I made mine out of some scrap copper tubing I found at work.  They work great.  Grind a little bevel around the lip so they do not hang up in the slider.

classicrockgriller

Also another forum member that makes and sells these is:

www.smokeandstuff.com

adriandb

As soon as my alarm went off this morning I couldn't wait to test the smoker out again so by 7:15 this morning I was back at it and by 7:45 my OBS was pumping out smoke. All is good. Thanks for all the assistance.

KyNola

SWEET! Now, throw something in there while it's pumping out smoke so all will REALLY be good. :D

DTAggie