n00b in Arlington VA

Started by adriandb, January 05, 2011, 09:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriandb

Hi all! My amazing wife got me a 4 rack OBS for Xmas based on its appearance on Kevin Rose's holiday shopping list. I hadn't ever heard of these things before it arrived at my house, but I'm already really excited. I'm usually more of a traditionalist about cooking which is why I never got into smoking, it just took too much time and effort. With that problem solved I'm ready to get going.

I'm smoking some cheese this evening and some ribs this weekend.

I'll be using this thing all winter long before it has to start competing with my grill when spring arrives.

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!!

Why make them compete?? Use them together to step your game up to the next level. Like putting your steaks in the smoker for an hour getting happy with the smoke then finish them on the grill.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Welcome to the family!  You're going to love your OBS.  Remember to keep that vent open.  Don't fail to ask any questions on this forum.  No question is too dumb.  We want to help you enjoy your smoker to the fullest.  Your grill may be playing second fiddle to the Bradley come Spring time. ;)

Sorry 10.5, you type faster than me.

TestRocket

Welcome adriandb,
Glad to have you aboard! We really like pictures so check this link out to help you get started!   ;D

SoCalBuilder

Yet another Welcome! My (much more expensive) grill now plays second fiddle to my OBS. If I can find a way to smoke it, I will. The only drawback is sometimes planning for the longer cook, but a couple adult beverages and the marvelous smokey taste trumps all ;D  Enjoy!

smoker pete

Yo, Adrian  ;D ;D ... Couldn't resit that!!!

Welcome to the forum.  You won't necessarily need to have your OBS complete with your grill in the spring.  Search the forum and you'll find that a lot of people will smoke something and then finish it on the grill.  Or they cold smoke a steak or something with hickory, etc. and then grill it.  Heck, you don't need to wait till spring ... go out and smoke/grill something now  ;)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

adriandb

Quote from: smoker pete on January 05, 2011, 04:02:41 PM
Yo, Adrian  ;D ;D ... Couldn't resit that!!!

Welcome to the forum.  You won't necessarily need to have your OBS complete with your grill in the spring.  Search the forum and you'll find that a lot of people will smoke something and then finish it on the grill.  Or they cold smoke a steak or something with hickory, etc. and then grill it.  Heck, you don't need to wait till spring ... go out and smoke/grill something now  ;)
It's a little too cold for grilling right now, but I'm about to fill this smoker with cheese!

ArnieM

Good time of year for cheese.

Heck, I'm in Connecticut and still use the grill when I can shovel the snow out of the way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kinyo

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum adriandb!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

welcome to the forum and enjoy