Hi everyone

Started by muebe, January 06, 2011, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Welcome Muebe!!!
(I'm the only one in "Shawshank" that ain't got a Bradley.  But, I bought one!  Go figger.)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

Thanks for all the welcomes ;D

@10.5   All I have done so far is unbox the thing. I have been working so many hours at work. I have a 3 day weekend this weekend so I plan on doing the season and first smoke on hopefully Saturday.

@Squirtthecat  So in your shed do you have your OBS located at eye level with some type of shelf installed and the bottom half of it storage?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Quote from: muebe on January 13, 2011, 09:54:42 PM
@Squirtthecat  So in your shed do you have your OBS located at eye level with some type of shelf installed and the bottom half of it storage?

Yep..   It is sitting on a cabinet I got from a coworker who was remodeling his kitchen.  It used to hold a convection oven or something like that.   Took a little bit of trimming to get it to fit, but it is nice and stable. (the big landscape paver helps)

The cabinet isn't vented.  I just leave the doors open when the Bradley is smoking away. 

muebe

Thanks for the picture...now I just got to check my local stores for one.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Oh, and it is screwed to the fence...   We get a lot of wind around here.

ArnieM

muebe - Take squirt's advice.  I had a cabinet on the deck and it blew over.  :(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

muebe

Ok so I purchased a cabinet from Target for $79.99 today and proceeded to get to work. I installed it in the cabinet and am currently seasoning the smoker @150 for an hour per instructions. I modified the smoker slightly ;) It now is a COLD smoker. I located the smoke generator on the bottom shelf. Installed a venting system to carry the smoke to the Bradley box. I also have a Y-pipe that the spent pucks drop thru and into a small bucket of water to extinguish them. So far it seems to be working quite well. It is holding at 150 with the temp slider just past the middle. It is about 50 degrees outside and air is calm. I am going to do my first smoke tommorow...BTW no wind is gonna take this thing down!

SamuelG

Welcome and Very nice setup!

I'll have to go to target and get one of those for sure.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

GusRobin

Very nice set up.  Don't forget that you need to clean the puck burner now and then as the ash tends to build up.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoker pete

Welcome to the Forum muebe.  Good to see you on the dark side  ;D ;D  Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Zillions of great people on this forum ... You'll have fun.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

So I finalized the installation decision. I found the spent puck drop tube is working great and there is no problem with any smoke escaping from it. All the smoke is making it's way up the tube into the box. I am going to leave it as is and the very bottom shelf for storage. So I ran it empty and on high this morning when it was cooler outside(just under 50 degrees) to see how high of a temp I could attain without having the wood puck heating element located in the box. It took about 30 minutes for it to reach 230 degrees and it was still climbing. So I am going to the store to get some cheese to smoke first and then I am going to try Smoker Pete's(Thanks Pete) recipe for smoked stuffed pork tenderloin in the Bradley ;D

smoker pete

You may want to look into a remote smoker meat/chamber thermometer cause the Bradley door thermometer is notorious for being 20-30º off.  Noticed your photo shows a temp of about 218º.  If you check it with something else you'll probably find that the temp is actually closer to 240-250º.

Nice looking setup there!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

So my wife put together the pork loin using Smoker Pete's recipe. It was rubbed with CB's Kansas City Rub and I am going to smoke with Hickory puks for 4 hours. I am going to pull it at a IT of 150. Also threw in a pic of my kids catching some swing time ;D

And my peanut gallery :D

Bavind

Welcome to our adiction :D

TMB

Hey Muebe, glad you made it to the dark side!  I really enjoy my Bradley and looks like your enjoying yours! 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!