third smoke with the Bradley... trying bacon wrapped chicken

Started by Rad Rich, January 06, 2011, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey Fellas,
Using my new obs for the third time.  Trying a bacon chicken deal that I found on this site.  Not sure how long to cook or what temp.  In Chicagoland about 25 to 30 out.  Gonna go for 120 mins of smoke then maybe another hour?  What temp do you guys think the chicken should get to to be done...180?
Getting hungry...  more pics to come..
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

SL2010

Yes on the 180 are those rubberbands on there welcome to the forum

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rad Rich

Yes they are rubberbands, but silicone rubber bands.  Pretty cool huh.  Told a friend what I was gonna do and she said forget the  toothpicks go to bed bath and beyond, and pick these things up.  No more eating tooth picks.  They were 5 bucks for 20 of them.  Real easy to use.  Safe up to 5 or 600 degrees.

SL2010

YA that is cool i would of never though i would see that

OU812

Cool idea on them bubber rands.  :D

I take chicken to 165 then let rest a little when outta the smoker, moist and tender every time.

Also I like to cook chicken at 250 F

Just throwin this out there.

Lookin good already, any thing wrapped in Bacon has gotta be gooood.

Rad Rich

chicken is at 170.  smoked for 120 mins.  Been in the obs for 3 hrs.  This is the first time that i have used the obs in the cabinet and I am very happpy.  No moisture leaks.  temp has been rock steady at 225.  Slider is about 95% of the way up and it is cold outside Temp is 19.  I go eat now.   LOL.

squirtthecat

Nice job..  Enjoy!   (I need some of those rubber band thingies)

Rad Rich

Oh so good.  You said you like pics.  The rubberband things are great and they came off easy, washed up like brand new.  Wings this weekend!!

Don't worry, there is still 2 left in the fridge.

OU812

Looks GREAT!

Gonna look in to them bubber rand thingies.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SoCalBuilder

Thanks for the heads up on the bands. I thought you had zip-tied those suckers. I usually take breasts to 165 to keep them moist, but that is probably not an issue with all that pig wrapped around them. It even looks like the bacon may have crisped up a little. I'd be tempted to throw them on the grill for a finishing touch. Nice going!

Hiram

Chicken looks excellent, but tell me more about the enclosure. Is that one of those backyard storage containers with a smokestack mounted on it. A friend of mine was going to build me an enclosure for my Bradley so I could use it this winter but unfortunately he got sick and wasn't able to do it. The friend is fine now but my smoking won't be untill spring I'm afraid and the family and neighbors miss it.

Rad Rich

Yes it is a suncast utility cabinet.  Dimensions roughly 30 wide x 20 deep x 36 high.  It is online at home depot with a black top.  I bought this one at kmart for ten bucks cheaper.  Works great, had to cut holes in the back for the cords though. Check out these pics.http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20133.0

Bought the chimey stack at home depot for about 10 bucks.  Jigsaw out the hole in the top and the holes in the back and works like a charm.  Cabinet is pretty light too so I can pick it up from the garage to the deck and smoke it up.  Gonna do the chicken wing recipe this weekend.  My wife had one of those chicken breasts tonight and freaked out.  So good she wants me to make a bunch at the next party.  Been havin great success with the Bradley original.  Can't wait to learn more stuff to smoke.  I want to try ribs so someone tell me the best recipe.

Bears are gonna win the superbowl!!!            Ok no more Vodka tonight.

Hee Hee