Advice for the first burn.

Started by Mundis, August 10, 2005, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundis

Hello everyone. Awaiting my SS Bradley Smoker combo 2 from Chez. Very excited to taste the glory.

I would like to kick it off with some beef.

Any recommends, spicey is gooood? What cut and rub would be a great starter? I've been lurking in the forum, but have been unable to devote the time to reveiw a good number of receipes (Air Force is keeping me busy).

Thanks
M

MallardWacker

Mun-di,

Brisket baby, brisket. Listed below is a good discussion about the subject.

CLICK HERE>>>>A Better Brisket

Welcome to the forum AND many thanks for all you do for this country!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

If you are set on Beef, it appears as if Brisket is the preferred cut.  There are a bunch of available recipes and alot of expert brisket cookers on this site.  Unfortunately I am not one of them.  

You can do a couple whole brined chickens.  They will cook in a shorter time, cost a little less and man are they yummy.  Might be an easier first project.

Whatever you decide. Good Luck, enjoy, welcome to the club!

Mundis

Thanks for the quick response. I'll research both suggestions. The thanks is appreciated. It's my honor to serve. However I'm one of the lucky ones. I just fly in, drop supplies etc and leave. The troops that are there day after day are the heroes.
M

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(Air Force is keeping me busy).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where are you? and What do you do in the AF?

jaeger

Welcome to the forum M!!!

We are proud to have you join us!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Mundis

I live in Annapolis, MD. I fly the C-5 Galaxy (big jet-about 50 feet short of a football field) out of Dover AFB, DE.

ListerD

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Primary Function: Outsize cargo transport
Prime Contractor: Lockheed-Georgia Co.
Power Plant: Four General Electric TF-39 engines
Thrust: 43,000 pounds, each engine
Wingspan: 222.9 feet (67.89 meters)
Length: 247.1 feet (75.3 meters)
Height: 65.1 feet (19.84 meters)
Cargo Compartment: height , 13.5 feet (4.11 meters); width, 19 feet (5.79 meters); length, 143 feet, 9 in (43.8 meters)
Pallet Positions: 36
Maximum Cargo: 270,000 pounds (122,472 kilograms)
Maximum Takeoff Weight: C-5B 769,000 pounds (348,818 kilograms) (peacetime), 840,000 pounds (381,024 kilograms) (wartime)
Speed: 518 mph (.77 Mach)
Range: 6,320 nautical miles (empty)
Crew: 7 (pilot, co-pilot, two flight engineers and three loadmasters)
Unit Cost: C-5A - $152.8 million (FY98 constant dollars) C-5B - $179 million (FY98 constant dollars)
Deployed: C-5A - 1969, C-5B - 1980
Inventory: Active force and Reserve, 126<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just a little jet [:D]

Welcome!

Mundis

Smoked the brisket. All 5lbs have been consumed. Used 4 hours of mesquite, and smoked/cooked for 8 hours overnight at about 190F. Got up in the morning internal temp was 150F so I pulled it out. I can only assume FTC is a TLA for foil-towel-cooler. With that in mind I wrapped it in foil with some apple juice, put a towel around it and stored it in the oven (no heat). The brisket sat in the oven for about 10 hours before I reheated it to consume.

This probably wasn't the best method but it was the only way to do it because of our schedule. The flavor of the meat was wonderful however it was a little dry. Next brisket I'll time it so we can eat it shortly after pulling it from the smoker. Tomorrow I'm going to smoke some salmon.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I fly the C-5 Galaxy (big jet-about 50 feet short of a football field) out of Dover AFB, DE<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">As a young man I worked at the Marietta plant and it was during the C-5 production. Mother was an inspector there and at one time she grounded the entire fleet. Somewhere between 1968 and 1970.

I remember the maiden flight of the C5. The chaser jet looked like a small bug compaired to it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mundis

The C-5 amazes me everytime I step to it. I can't believe they give me the keys to a $170 million dollar jet.

Phone Guy

I bet an elevator would be nice. I think the ladder is a way to comfirm you're physicaly able to fly.[:D]

My Son is Security Forces currently at Beal. He went to Iraq for 7 months and came home in April. We sure are proud of our military.