Bacon round 2

Started by buck 01, December 28, 2010, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck 01

going to try bacon again going to use a a good recipe this time 1 on there. Last time I over cured and when I smoked it I got the internal temp to 160 but the meet inside didn't get that red smoke look like you see pic's on there but the outside looked great. Wish me luck.

Tenpoint5

Which recipe are you going to use this time?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

A couple of questions warrant being asked.  What type of bacon did you try the first time, belly or butt?  If it didn't get that "red" color you refer to my guess is the meat was under cured rather than over cured.  The color change on the internal meat comes more from the curing process than the smoking process in my opinion.

buck 01

going to use your's tenpoint5. I used bell bacon last time and going for it this time to the cuts i have now took alot better more meet. I will post some pic's when I start.

Tenpoint5

Look forward to the pics. That is a good recipe I have even been shown up making bacon by my daughter!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

buck 01

Can't find cur#1 or inst cur#1 can I use  mortons sugar cur or mortons quick tender? thats all i can find if that wont work I'll have to order some on line the local butcher shop would not sela me any.

/

KyNola

You certainly can use TenderQuick as a substitute for Cure #1.  You will have to alter the amount of MTQ used compared to Cure #1 and I would omit any salt that is in the recipe you are using as MTQ is 93% salt.

Use 1 tblsp of MTQ and 1 tblsp of brown sugar per pound of belly.  Important to use the correct quantities.  Weigh the belly sections carefully.  Mix the cure mix specifically to the weight of each belly section.  Rub it into the belly thoroughly.  Place the belly in a ziplock bag and add a quarter cup or so of maple syrup.  Use real maple syrup, not pancake syrup.  Zip the bag shut, removing as much air as possible.  Place in the frig for 6-7 days, turning the bag over daily and massaging any liquid that is in the bag into the meat.  At the end of the curing period, remove the belly and rinse well.  Pat dry and place on a rack so air can get underneath and put back in the frig overnight to dry.  Next day smoke the belly to your satisfaction.  I smoke it at 200 degrees with hickory to an internal temp of the meat at 150-152.  There you have it!  Many variations can be done.  Others will come along to offer better information that what I have posted.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

buck 01

KyNola

There you go buck 01!

Looking good!

squirtthecat

Looks great!    No fuss 2 ingredient bacon...   Pounds = scoops.

buck 01

Round 2 complete turned out ok I used 10poits recipe but used tender quick instead of cur#1 and left out the salt should have added some salt. I fried some up and was bland so I fried some more and added about 3 pinches of salt and it was great had to beleave a little salt can make a big change in tast. Will add a little to the recipe next time I have plenty to practice with. Its sliced and in the freezer.

Thanks

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

jiggerjams

Good job!! The bottle the maple syrup is in looks identical to the bottle I have maple syrup in, even the cap. The label is different though....Hmmmm......maybe one manufacturer supplying different brand names ???