Pre-Cooked Hams

Started by ListerD, August 08, 2005, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ListerD

Anyone ever smoked one?

I did one for a neighbor on Saturday, pretty much traditional scored, cloved and pineapple type with a sweet raisin glaze.

Basically it was an 8 lb. pre-cooked ham from a local shop. I smoked it for just about 4 hours with apple wood to 160deg.

They gave me a bit of it when it was done. They absolutely loved it, me I wasn't too impressed.

What have you done in the past?

BigSmoker

Look at this link.  Olds explains his t-shirt method for smoking pre cooked hams.  I have done them and I really like them.  Have fun
Olds T-Shirt Method

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ListerD

OK... That looks doable [:)]  Will give it a whirl next time though with lower heat (did this last one in my offset).

psdubl07

Just a random thought here...try something besides Apple.  I do not care for the Apple flavored bisquettes, but I have done a few dishes with it that people loved.

ListerD

Oh yeah, in this case the apple was their choice.

I'd rather do that then mesquite though... burned out on mesquite. [:D]

I did order alder and grape vine after reading about it here.

Thunder Fish

I did one for X-mas last year,full dress with maple syrup being spooned over it in the fridge for 1/2 day.It was around 12 lbs,bone in and I believe I also took it up to 160 F with apple/pecan pucks.
 It did go faster than the buzzered!   REALLY NICE !!  [:)]

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ListerD</i>
<br />OK... That looks doable [:)]  Will give it a whirl next time though with lower heat (did this last one in my offset).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I do mine hot if we are going to eat it that day. However, IMO if you cold smoke it (ya right if that is possible here in Florida) in the T-shirt then try Oak and smoke it for several hours.

The real trick is to allow it to cure for several days before you bake it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ListerD</i>
<br />Oh yeah, in this case the apple was their choice.

I'd rather do that then mesquite though... burned out on mesquite. [:D]

I did order alder and grape vine after reading about it here.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Grape vine???

ListerD

LOL! That's what I said but not what I meant. [:D]

I don't know WTF I was thinking... Alder and Apple.

Though I did read of someone using grapevine the other day somewhere. Kind of caught me off guard.

ListerD

I was thinking about this while I was at the store... Keep in mind I'm not using a BS I've got a pit and the Great Outdoors cabinet style.

For a Christmas ham, what about adding Mulling Spices to the water bowl? Smoked with hickory or oak.

We will add it to simmering wine in a cheesecloth pouch and let it steep for 20-30 minutes. Popular drink during the holidays served with cinamon and a thin slice of orange.

It just made me wonder about carrying that aroma and flavor over to a ham or maybe even a turkey breast.

Thoughts?