What Do You Have, When ...............

Started by classicrockgriller, January 10, 2011, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

WOO HOO!!

All the kids made it home safe N sound.

You can sleep now Sonny.  ;D

Sailor

Going to take my Monkey out tomorrow and play with him.  Going to make up some little Monkeys and perhaps be lucky and end up with a loaf of bread or two.  Going to have to wing this because I don't have a stand up mixer and will have to do hand mixing.  I may end up making an emergency run to Costco to get a 575 HP stand up mixer as soon as I get bandages on from the beating that my wife will give me when I tell her that the bread is going to cost about $250 bucks to make.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

Sailor

Just buy it and tell her it is a gift to her for being so nice to you for so long.  :D

I'm going to play with Carl this weekend, played with Sonny last weekend.

That just dont sound right.  ::)

Carl is my sourdough starter, shootin for some bread bowls.

Sailor

My wife's sister has a husband (Arnie) that always gets his wife something that he wants for a gift.  I did ask Miss Judi if she ever thought about getting a stand up mixer and she said she would like to have one but did not want to spend the money for one.  Told her I think I would go get her one and she gave me the "LOOK" and said "Don't Arnie me".  So to me if she don't want it then it will be all mine.  Evil laugh.  :o

Smokin Soon

I thnk "Spanky" is ready to come out and play now. The little darling is not farting so much now, so we will see.

Quarlow

Quote from: rdevous on January 14, 2011, 10:52:09 AM

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon.  When I got home around 11:00 PM, I opened it.  It was still cool to the touch.  The lid insert was domed from the gasses.  I opened it VERY s l o w l y to relieve the pressure and put it in the refrigerator.

Ray

Ahh you guys missed all the fun of peeling that duct tape off those plastic jars and having the lids blow off with a super loud bang. It just won't have the same meaning to you. LOL. Good luck and have fun.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Sailor

Feed the "Monkey" last night and let him sit and cool his heals.  This morning the kitchen smelled so good.  I put 1 cup of starter back in the fridge and then mixed up the batch.  Since I don't have a stand mixer I had planned to mix 1/2 and then the other 1/2 by hand.  Put 1/2 of the left over starter in the bowel and got the right amount of water and added the right amount of salt and then went for the sugar and did a brain fart and put the 1/2 cup in instead of the 1/4 cup.  D'oh.  So dumped the other 1/2 of the starter in and added more water and the other 1/2 tsp of salt.  Then the full amount of corn oil.  Mixed it all up and then added my 2 pounds of flour.  Hand mixed the monster and now the wad is resting and rising.  The hand mixing was not too bad but I envy you guys that have a stand mixer.

Jimbo

So I said I want to make some bread on Saturday.  So I got "Mr. Gibbs" out of the fridge last night.

Here he is after feeding him per Sonny's instructions.

Here is what he looked like this morning....Look he grew up nicely ;)

I stirred him down and pulled my 1 cup of starter back and placed in the fridge.  Got my batch of dough mixed up with the help of my KA Pro600 (Sailor they are really worth the $, if you can swing it).  My dough is now rising in the unheated oven.  I'll keep everyone updated throughout the day.  I plan on making 2 loafs and some rolls.  Thanks again Sonny for the starter and advice!

Jimbo

After the intial rise, I kneeded the dough by hand and formed enough for 2 loafs of bread and 6 rolls/buns.   They then went back into the unheated oven to rise again.  Here they are after before they get baked.

The buns are baking now.  The bread will soon follow.  I am getting excited to test some.

Jimbo

ALL DONE

Time for a test taste on one of the rolls

Damn good if I must say so myself.  I won't be buying those King's sweet rolls anymore for $3 a dozen.  The rolls turned out bigger than I thought they would, but no big deal at all.  These turned out be about the size of hamburg buns.  Overall, I am extremely happy with the results.  Thanks again to Sonny for the starter and directions. 

OU812

Mighty fine, mighty fine Jimbo.

If you got a scale a 2 oz dough ball makes the perfict dinner roll.

I use a 15" x 10" glass pan and can get 15 rolls in it.

Keymaster

Thats awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing  :)

Sailor

Jimbo.....you are right.  They are so good.  I made my rolls a bit too big but it is a learning curve.  Not to waste a nice big roll I fried up some Jalapeno & Cheddar patties and made an sausage sammy.  I think I am on to something there  :o

classicrockgriller

Quote from: rdevous on January 14, 2011, 10:52:09 AM

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon.  When I got home around 11:00 PM, I opened it.  It was still cool to the touch.  The lid insert was domed from the gasses.  I opened it VERY s l o w l y to relieve the pressure and put it in the refrigerator.

Ray

Ray I hoped after you released the pressure that you screwed the lid back on tight.

This starter needs a tight lid.

Jimbo! Nice job! Bread looks SWEET!

Quarlow

Awesome looking bread and buns. Nice work. I wish I had had the time to tend to them myself.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.