What Do You Have, When ...............

Started by classicrockgriller, January 10, 2011, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

"Spanky" decided he was being left behind in the conquest of Sonny's starter, so he came out to play! I'll get some finished pics up later.

Smokin Soon

All done! The wife devoured about a half loaf before it cooled. Very good indeed!

Thanks again Sonny!

classicrockgriller

Those cinnamon rolls look great!

You Guys are more than Welcome.

I'm Glad everyone is enjoying the Starter.

Smokin Soon

I know I'm supposed to feed the starter after 10 days, but do you have to wait 10 days to bake more using the 1 cup that was retained? [Impatient wife!]

Sailor

I am by no means a pro at this as I have only done 1 batch.  It is my understanding that you need to let it go in the fridge for at least 3 days.  I may be totally mistaken on this.  The stuff I put back in the fridge on Saturday morning was very lively and went to the top of the rim and is now coming back down.  I plan on taking it out tonight and to feed it so I can bake tomorrow. 

Good question to ask and maybe Sonny can chime in before I screw up and kill my starter for not letting it go enough.  Mine has only been in the fridge for 4 days.

My wife ate all the bread and is screaming for me to make more  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

FLBentRider

You can feed, then divide the starter and then stagger your batches, if you make three you can make bread every day.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Sailor, did you just retain 1 cup of starter and it grew that much? Mine is only a couple of inches over the line since Sunday, but still looks active. I saw in Sonny's post his retained starter grew in 15 minutes. Mine did not. After a couple of days it started growing and developed some gas, so I will assume it is still active.

Sailor

Mine grew past the line in about an hour after I put it back.  In 3 days it got almost to the lid and it is on its way back down.  I was going to feed it tonight but I have a big day tomorrow so I will feed it tomorrow evening and make bread Friday.

I would say that your starter is still fine.  Feed it and see what happens.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.