Acronyms, I Hate Acronyms

Started by smokinvalley, January 10, 2011, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinvalley

sorry my first post has to be such a lame question. I've been searching for two days and even searching the web on acronym searches. This isn't time well spent. What the holy hanna does FTC stand for? I've ascertained it means cooling the meat after it has reached it's IT (Internal Temperature) but i can't figure out what it stands for. Maybe "Foil then cool". Couldn't somebody have an acronym post pertaining to all the smoking terms? Sure would make life simpler.

Habanero Smoker

Hi smokinvalley;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a list of the most common used Acronyms on the board:

Here is a list of FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokinvalley!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Foil
Towel
Cooler

When desired IT is reached, take off smoker, wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel or two, then put it in an igloo cooler (no ice) to spend a little time staying very warm.  The IT should rise a couple of degrees and should keep the meat in the "miracle" zone for longer thereby rendering the meat more tender. 

When you have multiple pieces of large hunks of meat - the F and the T is not really necessary.  They keep each other warm.

The second use, is what I use it more for.  A "Keeping Warm" cabinet.  A poor man's Cambro.  If something finishes early, it goes in the cooler until serving time.  I usually plan on a cook to be complete about 2 hours before serving.  This hopefully takes into account the possibility of the meat taking longer than expected.   But if it finishes early - it'll go into the cooler. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokinvalley

Thanks HS for the direct to the Acronyms. Very helpful for the newb's. I'm also an OF that doesn't text much which makes it more difficult for me. OF=Old Fart

Cool board. now I hope I can prepare some great food. Currently have a BBR and a 4lb Pork Sirloin and a 5.5lb Pork Shoulder that I'm going to prepare tonight. Don't think I'll be able to smoke until the snow stops though. I primed my OBS in the garage with 1hr of smoke and it makes too much smoke to put 3 or 4 hours of smoke in the garage. now when I go to the garage for woodworking projects it smells like I've been deer hunting and camping in the garage. smells cool for a short while but over whelming if I'm there too long.

smokinvalley

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 11, 2011, 05:17:16 AM
Foil
Towel
Cooler

When desired IT is reached, take off smoker, wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel or two, then put it in an igloo cooler (no ice) to spend a little time staying very warm.  The IT should rise a couple of degrees and should keep the meat in the "miracle" zone for longer thereby rendering the meat more tender. 

When you have multiple pieces of large hunks of meat - the F and the T is not really necessary.  They keep each other warm.

The second use, is what I use it more for.  A "Keeping Warm" cabinet.  A poor man's Cambro.  If something finishes early, it goes in the cooler until serving time.  I usually plan on a cook to be complete about 2 hours before serving.  This hopefully takes into account the possibility of the meat taking longer than expected.   But if it finishes early - it'll go into the cooler. 
Thanks Caneyscud. Very good explanation. it not only lets me know what it means it fully describes the procedure and purpose. Big Help  :)

DTAggie

Welcome SV, you will learn to love that FTC acronym!