Chef's Choice 610 Slicer

Started by Big_T, January 11, 2011, 05:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

Hello All,

So after seeing a post about meat slicers I saw that many people here have the Chef's Choice 610.  After seeing that I decided to buy one.  Just came in the mail and can't wait to use it.  I was hoping the thickness dial was going to adjust the thickness measurements but instead it reads 0-20.  Does anyone have a chart to adjust the number to a particular thickness?  My first use will be Thursday when I cut a few roasts to 1/4" for jerky.  Any suggestions on a setting for that so I can get it first try?  Also any suggestions on the blade.  Will use for meat and probably some cheese.  It came with the serrated blade.  Should I get another blade for it?

SoCalBuilder

I use a tape measure...go figure ;D

Big_T

That would be too easy!  I am not about easy here!   8)  So I guess now that I have been stupefied how about the blade suggestions?

ArnieM

I just eyeball the setting and cut a slice - then go from there.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I just take a WAG on the # setting as well...   :D     

Mine came with the optional solid (ham) blade.  I use it for everything, and the serrated one is still in the proverbial 'box'.

BigJohnT

Mine came with the serrated blade and it is the only one I use. I use 1-20 depending on how thick I want it. If I want to be precise I use my micrometer to measure the thickness of the cut part, if not then I just use a ruler to measure the distance from the blade to the back stop.  ;D

The real important info:

For uncooked meat freeze it till it is just beginning to get stiff then cut.
Don't tighten the blade nut past just being in contact or it will be a bugger to get off.
The little black thingy that wipes the blade can be pulled straight out to clean it.

John

begolf25

Big T,

Looking forward to hearing how you like the slicer. I am in the market for one and this seems to be the slicer of choice for many. If you don't mind, where did you get yours? I was looking at a few places on the web and they were showing out of stock.

Thanks,

Bryan

squirtthecat

This is where I got mine from, as they included the non-serrated blade.

ArnieM

Quote from: BigJohnT on January 12, 2011, 05:02:50 AM

For uncooked meat freeze it till it is just beginning to get stiff then cut.
I haven't done raw meat.  Beef jerky comes to mind.  It worked really well for thin slices of rested roast beef.
Don't tighten the blade nut past just being in contact or it will be a bugger to get off.
Yep, just snug.
The little black thingy that wipes the blade can be pulled straight out to clean it.
Remember how you took it off.  Dialing the setting back all the way gives some finger room.

John

I've used it for tomatoes, onions, mozzarella (cold) or anything sliceable.  I find it works great and cleans up fairly easily.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Sailor

Yep....I think this is the one I will get as well.  I think Sears sell them for $99.00. I will hit a Sears store and see if they have any in stock.  If I can get it for $99 without paying shipping that is the way I will go.  With my luck it will be an order only item and will have to pay shipping.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

The HSN model has the extra non-serrated blade. If the Sear's model only has one blade, you need to determine if the extra blade is worth the $12 shipping and handling.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

begolf25

In case anyone is interested use coupon code "988048" at check out on HSN for $20 off any order of $40 or more. Takes the slicer down to $79.90 and you get the extra blade.

Bryan

SoCalBuilder

Bryan - Thanks for the code, but it doesn't seem to work. They want a 15 digit code and say to put a bunch of zeros in front of the code you gave. I couldn't get it to work. May try later. Let us know if it works for you.
Thanks - Randy

begolf25

Randy,

I entered it on the last page of check out where you submit your order. I didn't complete the order but it did apply the discount. I found it here and actually clicked on the link to go to HSN.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/hsn.com

It also says "for new customers only".

Bryan

Big_T

So people have had luck with the serrated blade cutting cheese and softer stuff like that?  If so I guess I won't waste my money for now.  I will get some use out of it but it isn't like I will use it daily or anything.  Unless I win the lotto and go into smoking food full time!    ;D