saran wrap

Started by CLAREGO, August 12, 2005, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

i was just checking out the boards and noticed something that got my brain. SARAN WRAP THEN ALUMINUIM FOIL. doesnt saran wrap melt????
any help to cure my noggin would be appreciated ?

nsxbill

You have to stop and think some more about that.  How many times have you put Saran Wrap over food to cook in the microwave, or even better, to boil water.  Did it melt?  When doing the FTC or cooking in the smoker, if you not using extreme temps, Saran won't melt, it just seals moisture in.  It does get pretty flimsey, but have never seen it melt.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Hay I da-no, I'm a foil only type guy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Hay I da-no, I'm a foil only type guy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Icopy that~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

whitetailfan

Roger here.  That's a big 10-4 on the foil.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

CLAREGO

hey it wont hurt but to try it !

JJC

I'm a foil-only man, too, but for a different reason . . .

While doing research using chicken embryos, we invented a cheap technique for growing them outside the shell.  We simply took a styrofoam coffee cup and made a plastic wrap "sling", using a rubber band around the top of the cup to hold the plastic wrap.  Gently cracked a fertilized egg into the cup/sling, placed a plastic top over it, put them back into the incubator, and voila--they grow just as fast a chicken embryo in a shell.  Some of them even get to the full 21-day term and try to "hatch" from the cup. The sling approximated the shape of an egg, and the flat surface that is presented on the top when looking down at the cup is perfect for making observations, doing experimental manipulations, testing potential drugs, etc. When we invented this technique in 1978, any plastic wrap would work.  A couple years later, all of a sudden all of our chick embryos were dying within a few days after putting them into the plastic wrap slings.  Turns out that all of the brand names had just started adding "clinging agents" to make their wrap easier to use (Handi-Wrap Plus, Saran Wrap with Cling-Plus, etc).  Well, Cling-Plus was chicken-minus, and I scrambled around trying to find a cheap, generic plastic wrap without a clinging agent.  Finally, the Handi-Wrap people told me that Grand Union still had some of their old plastic wrap, and after hearing my story, the Grand Union folks were kind enough to donate the last 20 cases (960 rolls) of the cheap stuff left in their NJ warehouse.  That's a lifetime supply--I still have 12 cases left.

The point of this ridiculous story is that I am very suspicious of warm plastic wrap, since at temps of 100F it will kill chicken embryos that are otherwise quite hardy.  I'm sure it won't melt at high temps, but I don't what's leaching out of the material!  I do use plastic wrap on room temp and colder foods.  For microwaving, I use old-fashioned wax paper--it performs much better than plastic wrap in the microwave, and as far as I know nothing but a few harmless hydrocarbons can leach from it.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

GrillinFool

JJC, that is an amazing response. Reminded me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny" and the court room scene with the discusion about posi-traction and the dodge coronet.

Habanero Smoker

John,
That's very interesting. Sometimes I feel like "Chicken Little" when I send out cautions to members not to use items in food preparation and cooking in a manner they were not intended to be used for.

As you pointed out there that potential of chemicals leaching into the food, and when you use a product in a manner not intended by the manufacturer, generally there will be no warning in the company's MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), if you use their product for  other then it was intended for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

This whole thing about saran wrap, maybe it's the mere thought of seeing that <b><font face="Arial"><font color="red">UGLY</font id="red"> </font id="Arial"> </b> chick from the Arrhythmics (annie lennox) wrapped up in it again and doing something with a sledge hammer that I cannot mention in this family oriented forum.

Just in case you forgot what she looked like.  Why Mr.T,  thought you might need somehting to soften the exposure to the your eyes.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

Hey Mallard!

I actually think when Annie Lennox is not making her ugly faces is actually quite beautiful...Too each their own.  It's "Eurythmics," and beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Still has a very haunting voice,and I do like her music!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Bill,

To each there own is correct and life would be dull if it wasn't that way.  And I will agree with you, she does have a very unique voice.  But I guess some singers and their music stand for other things and have portrayed themselves in such a manner that they just don't interest me.  She does fit into that category for me.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GrillinFool</i>
<br />JJC, that is an amazing response. Reminded me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny" and the court room scene with the discusion about posi-traction and the dodge coronet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah, sometimes I get a bit carried away . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

I'm with Bill on the Annie Lennox/Eurhythmics topic (which is way off Saran Wrap which itself is a bit of a tangent from smokin'), but I have to admit that ever since I was a teen I only cared about the music and the rhythm, and never really listened to the lyrics . . . that's a cop-out but allows me to enjoy a lot more types of music!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

So what's the collective opinion on Bananarama?[:p]

[:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?