Bacon Jam

Started by Tenpoint5, January 13, 2011, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Now doesn't it surprise you that I would be the one to post this recipe on the forum!! ;D I can't wait to be able to try this. Have to wait until after I get my blood drawn.

The smell of bacon frying for breakfast will get any sleepyhead out of bed in the morning. But
its crisp, smoky flavor can make any meal irresistible.

Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam
Makes 3 cups
1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is
rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon
to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve fat for another
use); add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add
vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up
browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to
combine.

2. Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is
syrupy, about 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely
chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers and use within a couple of weeks.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Jack Pot!!  Use with in a couple of weeks? More like can you leave it alone so it lasts a couple of weeks.

Nice find Chris, This recipe just bumped a couple down the bucket list.

TestRocket

I'll call my DR for blood work to see if I can eat this as well.  ;)

(meant only as a funny...I do hope your well)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: TestRocket on January 13, 2011, 09:52:02 AM
I'll call my DR for blood work to see if I can eat this as well.  ;)

(meant only as a funny...I do hope your well)

I'm fine the ole Blood pressure/High cholesterol thing. Meds were changed so now we get to see if it worked by doing blood work

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I can think of a bunch of uses for that!

squirtthecat

Schmeared on a bagel for a very NON-Kosher pig lox.....

Good luck with the BP.  Been battling that for years.  (genetic thing)  Finally got it under control so I can pretty much eat whatever I want - within reason.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 13, 2011, 10:26:32 AM

Schmeared on a bagel for a very NON-Kosher pig lox.....

Good luck with the BP.  Been battling that for years.  (genetic thing)  Finally got it under control so I can pretty much eat whatever I want - within reason.

I don't worry about it. That's for the Doc to worry about. Meds are doing their thing here anyhow. Besides when you get to worrying about things that's when things get bad. The Brain is a powerful instrument. It can work for you or against you. Mine is saying I'm just fine and am going to stay that way for a long time.

Who will be the first to make this Jam anyhow?

squirtthecat

Might be a good job for 10.5 1/4 to tackle!

TestRocket

Glad to hear that!  ;D

iceman

That would be great on corn bread Chris. That's a must try. To heck with the doc on this one.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Just put a call into Momma to bring home the missing ingredients. When she gets done visiting with her dad. Might just be making this tonight!! ;D

OU812

You had my mouth a waterin till the pure maple syrup, yuck, then the coffee, double yuck.

Wounder how it would be with a little more sugar and some black tea?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on January 13, 2011, 12:25:01 PM
You had my mouth a waterin till the pure maple syrup, yuck, then the coffee, double yuck.

Curt you make it your way tonight and I will make it this way. Then if one of us is sober enough to call the other we can compare notes. Maybe even post some pictures of the process. I will have to take pictures just so I can remember how I did it.

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 13, 2011, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: OU812 on January 13, 2011, 12:25:01 PM

Curt you make it your way tonight and I will make it this way. Then if one of us is sober enough to call the other we can compare notes. Maybe even post some pictures of the process. I will have to take pictures just so I can remember how I did it.

Easy big feller, just hoping for some insite.  ;D

FLBentRider

Sounds good to me. I may try this this weekend.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!