Another PIDconfirmation, Please

Started by robdm, January 13, 2011, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robdm

Can't say enough good things about my OBS. I've just been having so much fun with it. Even in the winter. I smoked 2.5 lbs of Hot dogs while digging out of 27" of snow yesterday.
I've recently expanding my smoking adventures to include Pastrami, Lox and now sausages. Many of the recipes call for holding and drying meats then raising the temp, applying smoke,...etc.
Although I am having very good success with my standard smoking procedure, I was thinking of a PID and how helpful it would be.
I know this question must have been asked a 1000 times so let's make it a 10001. Does the PID really help that much with controlling the Temp...etc? Is it that accurate?
If so, do people recommend the dual or single probe?
I have used the search tool here and did come up with some good reading. Just thought I would bring it up again before pulling the trigger.
Thanks for looking,
Rob

FLBentRider

I have an OBS.

I am doing a Ham recipe where it needed to be:

120F for 12 hours
140F for 8 hours
170F until an IT of 152F

Without a PID, I would not attempt this recipe.

With the PID, auto-pilot.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

The PID is very accurate once it learns your smoker. You'll love it once you use it. It holds my big smokers to within 3 degrees top to bottom and the OBS right about the same. Dual probes are great but not a must have. IMO I would go for the dual if you going to get one. Or if your making one you can do neat little add ons for different alarms. I have one built to auto dial my cell when IT hits so I don't have to hang around while the meat is cooking. They are a good addition in any case.
Ice.  :)

Tenpoint5

Like FLB said it does make things seem auto pilot. But not fool proof. You still need to keep an eye on the smoker and check on it. A PID will hold your temps very close to the set point. I believe it is +/- 2ยบ I have the single probe unit and it does just fine for me with a DBS4.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

As stated, the PID will hold its temp to a very close tolerence to the set point. How "accurate" it is as far as cabinet temp depends on where you place it. The cabinet temp varies based upon location and how much meat is loaded. But wherever you put the probe, the temp there will be accurate. That is one reason why regardless of the model you get, get the hanging probe not the one that mounts on the back wall.

As said by others, it allows you much flexibility - while the Bradley should not be considered as "set and forget" due to safety reasons, the PID makes setting temps as close as you can get to set and forget.

If it is within your budget, I would get the dual probe. Again it gives you greater flexibility. Could I get along with the singel--yes, am I glad I bought the dual -yes.
Hope this helps
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

More like cruise control than auto-pilot.

You still have to steer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

robdm

I appreciate all the responses. I am certainly not looking for a set it and forget it gimmick. I do appreciate a superior (food) product plus this is a hobby. If the PID helps, I'm cool with it.
I'll be putting in an order for the dual probe. I'll do some research on-line for the best prices.

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Rob

robdm

OK, an app for that.
Now that's a great idea!

starship

But you can monitor from a distance, this picture from a Blackberry and a wireless IP Cam.

Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

GusRobin

The wireless stuff wouldn't benefit me as the farthest I get away is the distance that my maverick can receive. From a safety standpoint I really don't want to be farther away than that in the event something goes wrong from a grease build up standpoint.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

robdm

So my company will be supporting Droids shortly. I'll be retiring my blackberry soon. I bet I can get an app that will read the PID. Will need addition hardware.

RFT

I too am looking into this PID.

What cabinet sensor would be recommended wall mount or original?   I like the wall mount for the clean install but is this the way to go?   Yes I know it's all subjective but lets hear opinions.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

squirtthecat

Quote from: RFT on January 16, 2011, 06:19:13 PM
What cabinet sensor would be recommended wall mount or original?   I like the wall mount for the clean install but is this the way to go?   Yes I know it's all subjective but lets here opinions.

I'm a 'dangler'...    Either down the vent, or through the door seal.   I think it makes it easier to put the probe anywhere you want it.

classicrockgriller

Probe in Hand !

Move it to where you want it.

IMO it is always best to have it below the lowest rack of meat that you are cooking.

When doing Sausage, it' dangles midway.

RFT

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 16, 2011, 06:37:19 PM
Probe in Hand !

Move it to where you want it.

IMO it is always best to have it below the lowest rack of meat that you are cooking.

When doing Sausage, it' dangles midway.

Ya, my first thought was the ability to move it to where you want it was going to be better then a fixed position.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.