Need Advice

Started by w3bcy, August 13, 2005, 08:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3bcy

Tomorrow my wife wants me to do pork ribs (dry rub) along with marinated chicken thighs.

I would probably smoke the ribs for 4 hours and continue to cook for another 2-3 hours, keeping temp below 200. My need for help is this.

What is the recommendition for putting on the chicken thighs? I know they won't take as long, but I do want to smoke them. My goal is to have both ribs and chicken thighs ready at the same time.

Thanks in advance for making me look like a smokin hero.

W3BCY
Barney

W3BCY
Barney

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well i would put ribs in and start your smoke, wait 2 hours then add the chicken thighs, then when thighs are almost done pull them F.T.C them , wait for ribs to be almost done , then fire up your grill to finish of the ribs and chicken on the grill .

w3bcy

Quote<i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />well i would put ribs in and start your smoke, wait 2 hours then add the chicken thighs, then when thighs are almost done pull them F.T.C them , wait for ribs to be almost done , then fire up your grill to finish of the ribs and chicken on the grill .

Thanks, Smokehouse.

W3BCY
Barney

w3bcy

Is there any way I can do all in the BS without firing up the grill per Smokehouse's suggestion?

W3BCY
Barney

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

w3bcy you dont need to fire up the grill to finish off, but your chicken skin wont be crispy, you can do it all in your BS, no problem at all.

MallardWacker

I've been doing A BUNCH, Boat Load of thighs lately (the in-laws like them).  The best results that I have come up with is this.

If you are doing chicken parts:
Smoke and cook in the BS for about three hours.  Then pull them and finish on the grill.  This seems to work out the best. You don't have to worry about internals of the chicken... makes it easy and you do come out with a better product then just leaving them in the BS till done.  To me you don't want over 2-3hrs of your favorite smoke.  

This what it looks like before you put them on the grill.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I preheat to 275°F, then I do thighs wings and legs for only 2 hours with heat as high as it will get over the 2 hours, then plunge and coat in BBQ sauce, and finish on hot grill.  Never a disappointment.  Qualifying this as just me, longer smoke times make the flavor too smokey, and I think dries out the chicken.  Finishing on grill crisps up the skin, and seals in the moisture.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

w3bcy

OK, MallardWacker, trying your suggestion. Smoking for the last 2 hours left on the 4 hour rib smoke, will continue to cook in the BS for 1 more hour. Then will pull and finish on the grill.

Skin should be nice and crispy, and hopefully there will be some hickory flovoring.

Stand by for an update on the results. Same Bat time, same Bat channel[8D]

W3BCY
Barney

W3BCY
Barney

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

how come MallardWacker gets the credit, it was my idea, just pulling your chain, I know it will be a hit, save us some left overs,

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />....Skin should be nice and crispy, and hopefully there will be some hickory flavoring......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You Betcha Baby......
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by w3bcy</i>
<br />....how come MallardWacker gets the credit, it was my idea, just pulling your chain, I know it will be a hit, save us some left overs,......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Actually I went and tried it this because of Olds Killer Beanz and I didn't want to wait around so if you plan your smoke correctly it kind of all works together.

You put the chicken, onions, and bacon in for two hours of smoke and cooking.  Then you pull the bacon and onions and make the Killer Beanz and get them in the oven.  Give yourself a break then at three hours preheat the grill, pull the chicken and grill on.  Pull the beans when done then check the chicken and all is well in river city.

de KA5GDJ  di di da da di dit ?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">de KA5GDJ di di da da di dit ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I did not know you were related to Chez....[:0] oh I'm bad~~~

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

[:D][8D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">de KA5GDJ di di da da di dit ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I did not know you were related to Chez....[:0] oh I'm bad~~~

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
and Oh I'm lost!

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Slight interpritaion here...

"de"  or "dah di dit" "dit"  means "from"

"di di da dah di dit" means "question mark"

Now I'm sure this brightend everyones day.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

w3bcy

I'm still stuck with  di di dit da da da di di dit.

Anyway, everything worked out perfectly. The ribs were absolutly to die for (and that came from the wife!) I left the chicken on the grill just a tad too long for me. They were a little dry.

I'll have to work uo to the beans-sounds terrific. With each use, I'm feeling more comfortable with the BS.

Left overs? Did I hear someone mention leftovers? Not a chance with this group of townhouse food "groupies"! Our building consists of 5 townhouses, and we all love to try new receipies and of course, eating the results. Most weekends, weather permitting, we are all on our decks grilling and chilling. Now one of us is smoking!!

Thanks for all the help and friendly advice. BTW, for all you hams, not the cooking type, our community is deed restricted. No antenna of any type. I work HF by loading up the gutter. Ain't perfect, but I get out pretty well. Max power on the 746 Pro is 100 Watts.

Until next time-

W3BCY

W3BCY
Barney