first smoke

Started by mesmoked, January 14, 2011, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesmoked

have a bradley six rack digital, going to try some seasoned high mnt. jerkey that has been curing for 20 hrs.  I have heard to smoke for 2 hrs. at 150 , then cook only for another 6.  Questions are,

1) does the smoke generator shut off after the set cook time, or do you load just enough pucks for the 2 hrs.  If so are the "puck savers" a useful item on the BDS.
2) should you have water in the bowl, to me I can see why one would want water to extinguish the pucks, and the other hand you are trying to dry the meat.

thanks in advance

SoCalBuilder

Mesmoked - Welome on Board -
I can't speak to the workings of the digital portion of your question. I use the HiMtn and do about two hours of smoke with it. Just load up the six bisquettes and go for it. If you have the pucks, that should take care of any over-smoking, regardless of the timing on the digital (Unless the smoke generator is turned off before the smoking is over).
150 to 160* works well for drying, but the timing all depends on the thickness of the meat, how often you open the doors to rotate the racks, etc. I rotate the racks every hour or so, and then check the dryness. I like mine to where it will just bend and is not brittle. After you handle it a bit, you'll know when it is done, but odds are, it won't all be done at the same time. In regards to the water pan, I take it out after the smoke portion of the show is over. No need for more moisture when you're trying to dry :-\  Good Luck and enjoy the jerky.

mesmoked

thanks, I do not have the pucks. Kinda of wondering if they are really needed with the digital.

KyNola

In my opinion, the puck savers are useful in a BDS.  If you don't use them, you have a spent puck sitting on the burner plate continuing to smolder unless you open the door and manually knock it off.  With 3 "puck savers", set your smoke time for 20 minutes longer than you actually want to smoke.  The 3 savers will move accordingly and kick the last smoking puck off of the burner plate. I typically will set the smoking time to conicide with the total cook time and use 3 savers.  That way your burner plate stays on and adds a bit more extra heat in the tower and 3 "savers" stay in place on the chute and burner plate.

mesmoked

makes sense to me.  thanks for the info.

KyNola

One little hint for you.  Those puck savers will be HOT when you take them off the puck burner. :o

Would advise you not use your fingers to remove them.  Don't ask me how I know........twice. ::) :P