Buffalo

Started by Grace, August 15, 2005, 05:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grace

Hello
I am new to this forum.  I gave my husband a smoker for his birthday last week.  We have made jerky and pork side ribs both turned out excellent.  On the menu for this weekend are buffalo ribs.  Does anyone have a good recipe for a good rub or marinade.  Thanks, this an awesome forum it has answered a lot of my questions.  

nsxbill

Check out this website: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/

Everything you wanted to know and more.  I would consider investing in the Jamison book, Smoke and Spice.   Lots of good recipes for rubs, spices, and smoked meat.

Welcome to the forum, Grace.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Phone Guy

I still have Buffalo ribs in the freezer. The ones we have cooked came out terrible. My Wife wont make them anymore so they are dog treats. I'm not sure why because the rest of the meat has been great. I have only taken cows so its not like they are old bulls. The first one was an older cow probably 8 or 9 years. After that I told the butcher to grind all the rib meat. Do you have a recipe for buff ribs that works?

Grace

No I don't have a good recipe yet.  I'm gonna try a marinade then a rub and cook long and slow hopefully they won't be tough.  This buffalo was only about 1 1/2yr and so far the meat has been excellent.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Chris!  Any news about the buff ribs?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Grace

Well I finally got the ribs done.  They were really good!!  I marinated them over night in a fairly acidic BBQ sauce type marinade.  Smoked for 2 1/2 hours then wrapped in tin foil and added a bit of apple juice and continued to cook for another 4 hours at about 190 degrees.  They were great.  I think the key was that the Buffalo was only 1 1/2 years old.  Not to sure what I'm going to do next maybe pork.  Weather has been nasty here so will have to wait for the sun to shine again.  Hopefully soon.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grace</i>
<br />Well I finally got the ribs done.  They were really good!!  I marinated them over night in a fairly acidic BBQ sauce type marinade.  Smoked for 2 1/2 hours then wrapped in tin foil and added a bit of apple juice and continued to cook for another 4 hours at about 190 degrees.  They were great.  I think the key was that the Buffalo was only 1 1/2 years old.  Not to sure what I'm going to do next maybe pork.  Weather has been nasty here so will have to wait for the sun to shine again.  Hopefully soon.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, Grace . . . buffalo ribs are definitely on my list, if I can find them here in New England.

Habanero--any ideas on this one?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
. . . buffalo ribs are definitely on my list, if I can find them here in New England.

John
Newton MA
I'll keep an eye open, and ask around about buffalo ribs, but to date I have only seen ground meat and steaks; just recently I have been seeing hot dogs made from buffalo meat in Shop-Rite; Hannaford and Price Chopper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
. . . buffalo ribs are definitely on my list, if I can find them here in New England.

John
Newton MA
I'll keep an eye open, and ask around about buffalo ribs, but to date I have only seen ground meat and steaks; just recently I have been seeing hot dogs made from buffalo meat in Shop-Rite; Hannaford and Price Chopper.
Yeah, we can get ground buffalo meat easily around here, and I prefer it to ground chuck or sirloin for both taste and lower fat content.  Use it in my ABTs all the time--the B for Buffalo is real!  I'll give the hot dogs a try  . . . what about the CT meat place you mentioned in an earlier post?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

John,
Don't waste your time on the hot dogs. I'll admit I had to try them, and found them rather bland. As you pointed out, the ground beef was not that spectacular. If you can find the steaks, they are pretty good. I rubbed them down with Durkee Kansas City Steak Rub and grilled them.

The place in CT was Mickey's discovery. I never got a chance to check it out. He may be able to provide more information on that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)