Having temp troubles on my first smoke

Started by Gaston Guy, January 15, 2011, 12:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston Guy

Hey Guys,

I am on my first smoke (ribs) and am having trouble with getting temps up.  I have a DB6 and set temp for 220.  After 1 hour, temp got up to 75 deg. and my maverick said 90.  Ambient temp in VA is 46 deg.  I raised the set temp to 300 and after 1/2 hour, temp is now 150.  How long to achieve my set temp. at 220 and should I just bump the temp even higher now?

FLBentRider

Is the element in the tower glowing red? It sounds like you may be getting heat only from the smoke generator.

Make sure the power cord for the tower is plugged in securely, even unplug and replug it a few times.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

How much meat do you have in the smoker? With a heavy meat load on the smoker it will take a while for it to come up to you cooking temp.     

Gaston Guy

Temp has risen to 225 on Bradley and 185 on Maverick.  The wind has picked up so it may be sucking the heat out.  I think we are headed in the right direction though.  I do still have my temp set at 300 to try to get the oven temp up.  Hope that is ok.

Gaston Guy

Hey Rocket,

I have 3 racks of ribs going and am using 3 trays.

Jim O

Welcome Gaston Guy.

Wind is not a "best friend "to the Bradley.

I've always had best results when I shield my smoker from the wind.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

TestRocket

Yea, sounds like it was the meat load! It gets us all as we get used to cooking with just 500 watts! Glad to hear things a warming up for you!     ;D