What happens to the meat when the heating element fails??

Started by ChristinaA, January 16, 2011, 06:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristinaA

This is just my third time using the smoker and I put a 6.5lb boston butt in last night at 12am. When i got up to check it at 4:40am the temp was at 185, ok temp for 40 degrees outside I guessed. But when I got up at 8:45 the temp was on 59 degress. Obviously broken... My question is what is going to happen to my meat. I put it in the oven at 220 degrees but I know the meat had completely cooled down as it was not even warm to touch... Is it still going to be tender enough to pull??? :(

TedEbear

They say the 'magic' doesn't occur until the internal temp of the meat is 160-something degrees.  That's when the fat and collagens start to break down.  Then you need to let the meat rise to a temp of at least 185*F (I've read 190, 200, 205 - it varies, depending on whose recipe you're reading).  Anyway, if yours didn't get to those temps it will be tough and I don't think it would be fully cooked and unsafe to serve.  The whole process takes at least 15 hours.

muebe

I would worry about how long the pork was at low tempature due to your 5 hour window that you were sleeping and the heating element stopped working. There is a chance that you could get food poisioning due to bacterial growth in the meat during that time. I suggest you do not chance it and throw it out. For future smoking reference IMHO 200 degrees IT is the best for pulled pork. Everyone has a different opinion but a minimum of 185 IT for sure.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

I would also be concerned about the time the meat was in the danger zone (40*-140*). My personal philosophy is when in doubt, throw it out. There are nasty things that grow in that temp and would require temps of at least 212 - 215* thoughout the meat to kill them. If you can get them all.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

deb415611

Quote from: GusRobin on January 16, 2011, 07:38:51 AM
I would also be concerned about the time the meat was in the danger zone (40*-140*). My personal philosophy is when in doubt, throw it out. There are nasty things that grow in that temp and would require temps of at least 212 - 215* thoughout the meat to kill them. If you can get them all.

I agree with Gus,  it stinks when you throw it out but I'd rather lose a few $ rather than chance getting myself and others sick

lumpy

classicrockgriller

The same happened to me once and I finished cooking it in the oven.

My Dogs had some great Pulled Pork but I didn't eat it.

I know it is a bummer but not worth taking a chance.

Habanero Smoker

Hi ChristinaA;
Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

I wouldn't take a chance with the meat either. In case you are not aware; the digital models automatically shut down after 9:40 hours. To over come this issue, you need to reset the smoker prior to going to bed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)