cold smoked salmon

Started by red_herrings, July 22, 2005, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_herrings

i have been cold smoking salmon and then "canning" the fish in jars for years. this technique produces an excellent product and it doesn't take up freezer space to store.
try this link for exact information on how to properly care for your fish: http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FNH-00223.pdf
you'll need adobe acrobat to view.

things go better with...smoke!

Kummok

Welcome to the forum, Red! Canned smoked salmon used to be more common around the Kenai Peninsula than cheese in Wisconsin!  Don't know why we don't see it much anymore...it's GREAT![:p]  Smoked and canned even makes Pinks taste good![;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Oldman

I never got into canning much, and never did fish but that was interesting reading....Thanks!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

red_herrings

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />Welcome to the forum, Red! Canned smoked salmon used to be more common around the Kenai Peninsula than cheese in Wisconsin!  Don't know why we don't see it much anymore...it's GREAT![:p]  Smoked and canned even makes Pinks taste good![;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

how right you are about the pinks, have been getting people to love pinks this way. they won't believe it, when you tell 'em.
just love to put out some fish like this and along with the world famous echo lake cheese dip and watch a footbal game, with something on the grill or smoker, of course!
got my freezer full of reds and am waiting on the silvers.

things go better with...smoke!

whitetailfan

Very interesting read.  Around here there is no abundance of salmon, but I am tempted to give this a try with some smoked whitefish, which are readily available and at a cheap cost.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

JJC

Welcome, Red!  Enjoyed reading about canned salmon [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA