heat and humidity

Started by Kamanodental, August 29, 2005, 07:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamanodental

<font face="Courier New"></font id="Courier New"><font size="5"></font id="size5"><font color="black"></font id="black">

Aloha everyone...

New to the forum and new to sausage making.  I live in Hawaii (big Island) where the volcano is blowing its steam.  I have a question. I would like to cold smoke some sausage but the humidity and heat... is slightly higher then the 90 deg that is required.  I have read some posts and am wondering if the humidity is a factor in the processing of the sausage for cold smoking.

Mahalo
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Habanero Smoker

Greeting from the East Coast;
Just my opinion; but unless the relative humidity should get beyond the high 70's, which should be rare, the relative humidity should not have any effect during the time you are cold smoking; your concern would be keeping the temperature down. You may have to add ice inside the cabinet to help control the heat.

During this time of year, what is your general temperatures and relative humidity? What temperature do you plan to smoke at?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kamanodental

Habanero

Usually its about 80-95 degrees and Im on the wettest side of the island.  Most of the receipes call for 90- 130..  Im actually trying to make some Hawaiian Portaguese sausage ..smoked.  First try for this one.  Also new in the sausage world...meat is very expensive here and so is the sausage...I am thankful for all you experts.
Mahalo (thanks)
Kamano
Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Habanero Smoker

I don't smoke sausage that often. I can only reply about your concern about humidity during the cold smoking process; but there are others with a great deal of experience in making sausage. I'm sure they will respond soon.

Are you using a Bradley to cold smoke with? If so, you should be able to keep in under 130 F. if you keep the smoker out of the sun; but I would have ice available to place on the bottom shelf; just in case.

When you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you post the recipe for Hawaiian Portuguese sausage. It sounds interesting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Hi Kamanodental,

Welcome to the forum.

I use this method for cold smoking, this perhaps with the addition of ice to the smoke box may well resolve your issue.

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Good luck, let us know how you get on![;)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Kamanodental

Hawaiian Style (Portagee) Sausage

Habanero I will email it to you.

If anyone would like to have the recipe let me know and I will email it to them...I dont know how to get it pasted in here...lol  Im not that puter literate.

Mahalo for all your wonderful ideas and help.
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Habanero Smoker

That would be great. If you would like, I could post it for you.

Right now I'm knee deep in renovations, and running more then a month and a half behind schedule, so I haven't done much smoking lately. My county has a couple of keystone cops for code inspectors. Sorry! Enough ranting.[:(]

I'm plan on doing some sausage in late October or early November. There is a place near me that is giving a class called "Sausage Making 101", which I have enrolled in. So you recipe greatly interests me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />That would be great. If you would like, I could post it for you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That sounds very intresting. Hope to see the recipe here soon. [:p]

Mike C

Kamanodental

Aloha everyone....

Here is the recipe that a few asked for...I hope you can help me post this on the recipe page.  Im not sure if I know how...not that puter savy...so to speak.

Hawaiian Style (Portagee) Sausage

Hawaiians often refer to this style of sausage as "Portagee Sausage" (no insult intended). Portagaee sausage is the Hawaiian variation of Portuguese Linguica. It is sweeter and not as "hot" as the original Linguica-style sausages. The formula was developed as a result of my tasting several different version of Hawaiian sausages and selecting my favorite flavors.

2 1/4   lb Pork butt
3/4     lb Fat back
2 tsp      salt
6 tbs      Cane sugar, brown
2 tbs      Paprika
1 tsp      Phosphates (optional)
1/2 tsp    Instacure #1            
2 tsp      Garlic, granulated
1 tsp      Anise, ground
4 tbs      Pineapple juice
3 tbs      Soy sauce
1 tbs      Hot sauce—optional
           (I like to use red Italian  pepper flakes..)
            32 mm hog casings

1. Cut the meat and fat into cubes, partially freeze, then grind together through the medium plate of grinder.

2. Combine the salt, Instacure # 1, and phosphate with the pineapple juice; stir well to dissolve and then mix in well with the meats.

3. Sprinkle sugar, paprika, garlic and anise over the meats; pour in the soy sauce and hot sauce and mix well.

4. Refrigerate 12 hours to develop flavors in the meat.

5. Stuff into 32 mm hog casings; tied off in pairs--8 inches long.

6. Air dry the casings; a small fan helps out here.

7. Place in a 160' f preheated smoker; apply a light smoke and hold until internal temperature of the sausage is 150' f. (use your smoking method if different ...)

8. Cool at room temperature; then refrigerate. (extras can be vacuum sealed and frozen)

Hope this works.  
Mahalo for your help.
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

nsxbill

Kamano,

I posted up the sausage recipe to the big site to help Olds out.   Thanks for submitting it to us for review and to expirement with.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

calatexmex

Thanks guy's. I will be tryin' this sausage in the near future.

Mike C