What went wrong?

Started by OU812, January 17, 2011, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

So I got some of the Mies breading and last night was the first time I had a chance to try it.

I fired up TBE on high and kept it there, it was 19 F in the shed.

I fallowed the directions, but I didnt have a bag to shake it in so I sprinkled it on and shook off the extra.

Placed them on the rack like I always do chicken.

Thinking they would brown as they cooked I stood at TBE staying warm like around a camp fire for 2 beers time and they didnt brown so I stabbed a thermometer in and they were at 195 F.

I will say one thing the Mies did help keep them from drying out.

The kids even got me to eat some ruffage, top left.  ;D

Any Ideas why they didnt brown and get crispy?

SoCalBuilder

My only experience with Mies has been in a skillet with a little EVOO. I've read where people use it on the grill and I need to try that soon. It looks like you got a little brown. I figure that the direct heat from the skillet helps it brown up quicker. I love the way it tastes, bit I don't think I've ever had it get as crisp as deep-fired. I ordered some Mies today that is labeled "Extra Browning"; we'll see :)

TestRocket

I've tried chicken and pork chops and your chicken looks like what I got!    ;D

OU812

Quote from: TestRocket on January 17, 2011, 12:20:07 PM
I've tried chicken and pork chops and your chicken looks like what I got!    ;D

Over done and not crispy?  ;D

TTNuge

They say when not frying in oil that you should wet the breading after putting it on the meat.  Almost sounds like you need to mist it down with water and then it will brown more.  I'm still learning as well and the few times I've used it in the TBE they looked like that.

OU812

Thanks for the suggestion TT, but I did mist them, top and bottom.

I remember reading somewere that the breading needs to be moist to form a crust.

DTAggie

The "extra browning" does brown more than the regular based on my experience.  I have only grilled with it.  Have not tried it in a pan yet.

DTAggie

here is the link to the one I did on my weber charcoal with the extra browning Mies

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19167.0

OU812

DT

Did you put on any other seasonings?

Mine didnt have that orange tint to it.

OU812

Hello!  ;D

Theres got to be some other folks with thoughts on why it didnt brown or how they browned theres.

muebe

I seem to remember some postings about this on the Sizzle forum. There was someone who got it right in TBE. Maybe Tommy or 10.5 will chime in...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokin Soon

Did you have the lid on for the entire cook?

DTAggie

Curt, no other spices.  When I used the regular Mies on some fish it looked about like your chicken

OU812

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 18, 2011, 10:03:44 AM
Did you have the lid on for the entire cook?

Nope.

I was told on to cook off to brown, dont remember by who.