Smoking salt, paprika and chilis - questions abound

Started by SoCalBuilder, January 18, 2011, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

My sister has been after me to smoke some paprika for her. I've read about that here and also making your own smoked salt. The first question is how much smoke and what kind. I can see all kinds of personal preferences coming on the kind of smoke, but a learned concensus might be helpful. I can see where a cold smoke might be also, primarily to get the water bowl out of the smoke. Moist salt might not be cool, but if the smoke duration is short, you could pull the pan and dry the salt like you do jerky.

The next thought is smoking and drying various peppers to grind later, like chipotle. Might be fun to experiment with different peppers and smoke.

Anyway, any insight and suggestions would be appreciated.

Quarlow

Having never done it my piece of advice is to put your spices onto coffee filters for smoking.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

coffee filters work. I have done it using paper plates. Another good item to smoke is ketchup. I put a couple of bottles in one of those disposable aluminum pans, added 1 1/2 hours of smoke and it was great. Everyone that tries it loves it.
Since you are cold smoking, I would start out with minimal smoke maybe 1/2 to 1 hr, do a taste test, and add some more smoke if desired. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. You can always add more smoke time but you can't dilute over smoked.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Ditto on the coffee filters.   I 'acquired' a few commercial sized Bunn filters from the office.  Each one covers a Bradley rack, and will hold a pound of salt.

Last salt I smoked got 3.5 hours of Pecan.

Double ditto on the ketchup.  It sounds crazy, but it turns out fantastic. 

muebe

The coffee filter idea is great. I wanted to smoke some salt tommorow morning and was gonna ask the best way to do it.

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

jiggerjams

BAVIND gave me hickory salt he smoked himself in the Christmas exchange and it is fantastic!!

Bavind

I smoke salt with hickory for 30 hrs comes out amazing. I can never keep any for my self except what I hide  ;D My friends and relatives some how find out I am doing salt and almost line up for their share. I have done it a couple times this last year and am going to have to do another batch soon.

Bavind

I usually use cheese cloth rather than coffee filters smoke seems to get at the salt better. I also stir the salt multiple times part ways though the smoke

GusRobin

Quote from: Bavind on January 18, 2011, 09:42:41 PM
I smoke salt with hickory for 30 hrs comes out amazing. I can never keep any for my self except what I hide  ;D My friends and relatives some how find out I am doing salt and almost line up for their share. I have done it a couple times this last year and am going to have to do another batch soon.
Is that 30 hours (90 pucks) in the Bradley?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: GusRobin on January 19, 2011, 05:22:06 AM
Quote from: Bavind on January 18, 2011, 09:42:41 PM
I smoke salt with hickory for 30 hrs comes out amazing. I can never keep any for my self except what I hide  ;D My friends and relatives some how find out I am doing salt and almost line up for their share. I have done it a couple times this last year and am going to have to do another batch soon.
Is that 30 hours (90 pucks) in the Bradley?
Yes he does use 90 pucks.

When I do Mine I just put it on the top shelf and let it ride with what ever I am smoking at the time. Usually I am doing a Boston Butt and the salt gets 4 hours of smoke. I also stir it around a couple of times during the process. You dont have to worry about melting the salt. Salt melts at something like 2473ยบ I don't think the Bradley is going to be that warm.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SoCalBuilder

10.5 -  ;D I guess i misworded that. I'm not worried about the salt melting from the heat, but didn't know how much moisture is really in the smoke.

sage03

I've used a couple of splattter screens(clean/new) that i got at Ikea for about $3 ea. I just had to bend it slightly to fit the racks and have the door close.. I've tried kosher and sea salt both work fine.Hickory or Mesquite work well...3-4 hrs...stirring a couple times...remove, put in small containers/jars.This also makes great gifts along w/ smoked cheese!!! :)     

jiggerjams

I like that idea sage.

I was thiniking on letting salt ride on multiple cooks until I get the flavor I am looking for. If I am using hickory I will add previously smoked hickory salt. The same would go for other salts.

Anyone try this? BAVIND is that how you get 90 hours of smoke or do you just go hard at it for 90 hours?

Bavind

Its usually 24 to 30 hrs and I usually do a bunch at once as the only thing in the smoker. I think that if i did it with other stuff in the smoker it may transfer the smells to the salt.