Cold smoker adapter

Started by TheHardWay, January 18, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHardWay

I built myself a cold smoke adapter for doing cheese.  I went to smoke some cheese tonight to try it out.  I had the adapter/smoke generator set about 4 feet way from the tower so as to let the smoke cool completely.  However, in doing so, I obviously had to unplug the short temperature cable that connects the SG to the tower.  Upon turning on the SG, I got the dreaded E1 error and beeping.  (never had this happen to me before, and I FREAKED out thinking my DBS was broken and I have 35lb of summer sausage in the fridge waiting to be smoked!, Thank God for this forum to help me find out what E1 meant!)  So, for all of you guys that built your own CSA, what is your work around for the short cable?  Can you disable something inside the SG, or do you just use a longer cable.  If longer cable, what kind of cable is it, and where does one go to find one?

Gizmo

There is a terminating connector that comes with the cold smoke adapter that Bradley sells.  Don't recall what the resistor value was to fake out the SG.  You might do a search on the forum as I believe some one posted the information last year or more.  Long before Bradley sold the smokers and had the terminating connector, some of us bought a longer cable with connector adapters from electronic stores.  Radio Shack carries the parts.  I connected the longer cable and have never put the short one back on even when not using a cold smoke setup.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Call Bradley.  It can't be very much.

Here is a link to what mjdeez did.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19496.0

Hope this helps.

mjdeez

Yeah if you have resistors on hand, I'd suggest between 15k and 50k. This will make the SG sense a temperature of between 225F and 125F (rough estimates based off the graph CRG linked), and the power to the element will be off... not that it matters if you don't have it connected.

I went to radio shack and bought the connectors. You could buy 1 of the Adaptaplug type M connectors for a few dollars, plus buy 1 resistor (between 15k Ohms and 50kOhms) and connect one side of the resistor to one of the adaptaplug terminals, and the other side of the resistor to the other adaptaplug terminal. Then just plug it in the SG. You might need solder to keep the resistor connected to the adaptaplug end piece.  You'll notice i had two adaptaplugs end pcs + 1 wire. You would only need 1 end pc, and no wire.  and 15k Ohms = 15,000 Ohms.

Or yeah, just call Bradley.