Whole Turkey

Started by mlhawken, January 19, 2011, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlhawken

I am considering the purchase of the Bradley digital 4 rack.  If I remove some of the racks can I smoke a whole turkey?
Thanks

jiggerjams

Hey mlhawken,

The answer is yes you can. If you like scan around the poultry section of the forum targeting around Christmas and thanksgiving. You will see some posts there on the topic.

JJ

TedEbear

Quote from: mlhawken on January 19, 2011, 08:04:11 AM
I am considering the purchase of the Bradley digital 4 rack.  If I remove some of the racks can I smoke a whole turkey?
Thanks

I smoked a 10 lb turkey in my 4 rack OBS for Thanksgving.  Someone else brought another 10 lb turkey to the family dinner in which they'd cooked it in the oven overnight.  Mine was all gone by the end of the meal.  There was about 1/2 left of the other turkey.   ;D

OU812

I smoke/cook turkey all the time, just try to keep the bird under 14 lb, it cooks better.

Keep the vent wide open and cook with high heat, you dont need slow N low with poultry.

Captainslug

Quote from: OU812 on January 19, 2011, 10:13:03 AM
I smoke/cook turkey all the time, just try to keep the bird under 14 lb, it cooks better.

Keep the vent wide open and cook with high heat, you don't need slow N low with poultry.

14lbs is about right for using the trays (I doubled mine up just to play it safe).  I heard you can do larger but have to hang it.  The bird I cooked about 6 weeks ago took roughly 30 mins a pound @ 240* but that was me.  Always plan for the cook to take longer than you think. 

Enjoy!
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Uncle Pigfat

If you pick up a vertical stand you can do a bigger bird.  They have one at yard and pool.  I'm doing a 14.4 lb bird this weekend in my BDS4.

ArnieM

I like a 12-14 pounder.  Use a vertical rack if you can.  If the bird is laying down there will be a LOT of hot juice in the cavity.  Also, as Captainslug said, it may take longer than you think.

I'd just as soon as giving it a few hours of smoke as hot as the smoker can go and then going into a 375 oven to finish it off.  Just my opinion.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

I did 17 lb'r. Smoked in the bradley then dump it in the BE's basket and finished it to perfection. God I love my Bradley and my Big Easy. Life is good.....Ok, I am ok, just got a little carried away there.  ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I'm on the same boat as Q

Smoke the turkey in the Bradley sitting on a thrown then finish in TBE.

Tender, juicy and crisp skin.