New thermometer: iGrill

Started by sieler, January 19, 2011, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sieler

Hi,
There's a new kid on the thermometer block, the iGrill

http://www.gizmag.com/igrill-bluetooth-cooking-thermometer-for-iphone/17625/

$100, it has one or two probes connected via a 4 foot cable to a display (outside the oven),
and also sends the temperature info to your iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth.

Now, if it was using WiFi, I could watch it from inside (via webcam :)

kinyo

Way to cool!

To bad, I've just received a e-mail from yard & poll telling me that my maverick has been shipped today.

FLBentRider

I heard on another forum that the bluetooth was spotty and that the software was "not fully cooked"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

If i was going to do something like this i would get a stoker, for the stump's.
that way i could check and adjust from anywhere i had an internet connection.
this is a cool idea but the maverick already has me covered there.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

sieler

Re: To bad, I've just received a e-mail from yard & poll telling me that my maverick has been shipped today.

Me too!

It figures.  If you can buy it, it's obsolete :)

begolf25

I think those of you that ordered the ET-732 will be much happier. While this is a "cool" thermometer the ET-732's features set is much larger for almost half the price.

kinyo

Bryan, I'm sure I'll be happy with my ET-732!

Can't wait to have it!

sieler

Re:

> think those of you that ordered the ET-732 will be much happier

My ET-732 arrived today.  It worked once, I turned it off, then the receiver wouldn't turn on.  I replaced the included batteries with new ones, but it still wouldn't come on.  After taking the batteries out and putting them back in twice more, it started working again.

In other words: if you have problems, check the battery contacts :)

There's one (IMHO) annoying design decision.  The battery compartment on the transmitter is closed with two small screws (the battery compartment on the receiver is a slide-off cover). 

Otherwise, looks nice.

squirtthecat

I wondered about the 'screw on' battery lid on the ET-732 transmitter as well..   But looking at it closer, it is sealed up tight for protection from the elements.   

(I have a small array of remote weather station transmitters - and they are all sealed up the same w/ the screw down battery compartments)

Up In Smoke

Squirt nailed it! I have several toys and all that are exposed to the elements have screws to close the battery compartment,
srews and a seal to keep it dry.
The only thing i could add is if they had included a small screw driver to replace/install the batteries.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Daveo

Mine came today.Cooking two pork butts (Superbowl Party!)as we speak.One thing I can say is battery life seems to only be 6-7 hours(4 AAs).Have had to repeatedly unpair and re-pair on my phone and iPad,possibly partly because of failing batteries.I'm still getting a feel for it.
As for the App,it isn't exactly bad,but has a lot of room for improvement.On the phone you get an analog type dial thermometer with two needles(if you are using two probes),a big round old fashioned dial timer(only one!),and a seismograph type temp graph that tracks the changes.Too bad that graph is not labeled for time,so it hard to tell if you are looking at 30 minutes or an hour of data.Also you get some other useless stuff-cooking "tips",a few recipes,and an in-app web browser(to look up cooking stuff I guess).

A few software updates and it could be really great.I'll update as I use it more.My butts are @113 and 121 degrees right now,we'll see if the batteries are dead in the morning.
I'll post some pictures of the meat and the unit and display later.

Downsides so far:
No way to use an AC adapter.
Needs more timers,and at least a choice of digital ones.
Possibly needs some communication issues ironed out.

Pluses:
Spiffy.
Graph could be useful.
The bluetooth range seems to cover my house well.
You already have the receiver.
Can be used without bluetooth BUT display sleeps pretty quick and only shows one probe at a time.

2 Pork butts
6 racks baby back ribs
ABTs
Home baked buns
Jalapeno black eye peas
Home made french fries w/cheese and bacon bits
Stuffed bacon wrapped chicken breasts
Home made cinnamon rolls

UPDATE
The new batteries are at 17 hours and still going.Maybe the originals were bad.
The alarm is very quiet.Also vibrates on alarm.
Left the phone on all night to avoid possible loss of paring.
The alarm woke me at 6 at 195 deg for the small butt.Larger one just hit 195,6 hours later.
After the phone sleeps,I seem to have to go in and delete the thermometer and re-pair it,even though it shows"connected".App will not see it until then.
I think in the future I'll just use the iPad and leave it plugged in in the kitchen.Easy to read at a distance on that screen.
Bottom line:
If you are a gadget head like me you might like it,but it really offers nothing over the Maverick.App updates may bring more usefulness,they could do a lot with the graph to make it better.
Would I buy it again?Well,I am a sucker for shiny toys!

hal4uk

Quote from: Up In Smoke on January 19, 2011, 01:19:14 PM
If i was going to do something like this i would get a stoker, for the stump's.
that way i could check and adjust from anywhere i had an internet connection.
this is a cool idea but the maverick already has me covered there.
My next toy will be the ET-732 from Bryan, but I love my DigiQ II for controlling the Stump's...
UIS, do you think the Stoker would be better than the CyberQ?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Up In Smoke

I am still doing some research, i have seen the stoker in action and it really does perform well.
Also i checked with buster and saw some of the graphs that he has and it tracks great.
I have not seen the Cyber Q actually running but am looking at the comps for one.
Will let you know what i find out.
2 Bradley OBS

Cleaver

Dropped my other corless thermo last night.  -20 C and it didn't like it, ordered the igrill this am.  Also ordered a second probe. 
Real nice they charge 45.00 to ship to Canada.  I know they must think they are ebay.  And they shipped with FedEX, which will try and charge me brokerage fees.
Probably gonna be a 200.00 touch before I get it.

Daveo

Yikes!
Well it did come pretty fast once it shipped.Looks like battery life is not an issue.I've run it well over 20 hours on this set.My only real complaint is that sometimes after sleep the app opens and looks connected,but is simply showing the temp when it was closed.if I un-pair and re-pair it it them shows the current temp.The moving graph looks like it only covers maybe 5 minutes.Hoping for some cool app updates,has a lot of potential.