Cure for Salmon & other seafoods

Started by RJR1876, August 15, 2005, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SoupNazi</i>
<br />
..... the symptoms of botulism are....

unexplained neck-ache
   blurred vison
   loss of appetite
   sore muscles in torso and lower extremities
   DEATH.
.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Right on SN!! Everytime I feel a little "dead", I right away suspect botulism...ESPECIALLY with MY smoking/cooking![:D][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Everytime I feel a little "dead", I right away suspect botulism<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I felt that way last Saturday morning but I have an idea it was too much booze at the fish planning session the previous night combined with 6 foot swells.
T2

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />
Quote....I have an idea it was too much booze at the fish planning session the previous night combined with 6 foot swells....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yer not supposed to troll in 6 footers anyway, T2....everytime the BIG 68 pounder swims up to your hook, the crest of the net wave floats the boat AND the hook straight up and outta their mouth![:0]  At least that's what I tell folks when I come back from a rough trip where I spent more time chumming[xx(] than catching[;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yer not supposed to troll in 6 footers anyway, T2....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I know. When the surfers are catching good waves on the bar at the river mouth I think that's supposed to be a sign saying "THE SEASON'S OVER!" I put the boat to bed in the back yard yesterday. It's time to do some smoking and relaxing. My partner has a few honey do's too.
T2

SoupGuy

Perhaps this belongs in the accessories section... :)

Those of you lucky enough to live in Canadian waters (Pacific or Atlantic) AND have a boat worthy of the ocean, I envy you! Living in central Wisconsin, I've only had the oppertunity to fish oceans a few times in my life. I spends GOBS of time on the great lakes (primarily Lake Michigan and Erie) in a tiny 16 foot Lund.

But I AM a troller... yellowbirds, planer boards, dipsy-divers, downriggers, flies/dodgers and squids and good old cheap PENN reels and 40LB mono! Mostly fishing for great lakes Salmon, but also Erie Walleye. Two of my favorite fishes to eat.

I would HIGHLY recommend the MinnKota 'AutoPilot' trolling motor for any boat (fresh or salt) up to something like 24 foot in length.

Sure, I know there are GPS guided autopilot systems for larger boats and budgets, but for the rest of us a bow-mounted electric autopilot trolling motor used in conjunction with your gas powered prop and a bungie cord holding the steering wheel works MARVELOUSLY! I've had mine steer me flawlessly straight into 4-6 footers on the great lakes. (didn't catch anything, but the beer tasted good for a couple of hours)

TROLL ON!

** Oh, get the longest shaft you can afford, and ONLY the bow-mounted version. They work MUCH better when the prop is below the hull wash and it is pulling rather than pushing. The cable version is also better than the radio-controlled foot pedal. Dead batteries in squalls SUCK!

Best known not for soup, but rather smoked meats... and stuff

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SoupNazi</i>
<br />
TROLL ON! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nah, I like the thrill of one hitting the line during a retrieve.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Nah, I like the thrill of one hitting the line during a retrieve.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Even as a diehard troller I gotta admit there's no thrill like that, Kirk. We've been combining the 2 fishing methods this fall:I put two rods out on downriggers to troll at a depth of 50-70ft deep, then trail a bucktail fly in the wake of the boat on my 8 wt Sage. If the coho(silvers) are around on the surface they sometimes smack the fly a couple of times before getting hooked as you strip it towards your boat...gets the ol' heart thumping like an alligator's tail when you see their fin shooting in towards your fly!!

Soupy--sounds like you have the fishing bug real bad!  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and good old cheap PENN reels and 40LB mono<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> i don't like those Penn reels as I can never be confident about not setting the drag to high BUT having said that my buddy and I caught a 45 lb king salmon on one last season.
T2

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">trail a bucktail fly in the wake of the boat on my 8 wt Sage. If the coho(silvers) are around on the surface they sometimes smack the fly a couple of times before getting hooked as you strip it towards your boat...gets the ol' heart thumping like an alligator's tail when you see their fin shooting in towards your fly!!

T2
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now yer talkin!  [:D]  
If you haven't, you should feel the thrill with tarpon fishing in the keys when the guide tells you 80 feet 11 o'clock and there are 4 <b><font size="3">BIG</font id="size3"></b> shadows moving toward you in the shallow water.  [:0]  I admit I piled the line up the first couple times! [:p]

Chez Bubba

The best lure in the world for salmon is called the Oslo, IMO. It's a basic spinner, but unlike any other brand out there, spins virtually every time it hits the water. I've had people chase my boat into the landing, demanding to know what I'm using, after catching fish right in front of them all morning.

Yes, I said morning. I usually limit out in a few hours.

Once the salmon have made it up river & into the lakes, they will congregate in odd places, depending on the source of "current". In some, it's great fun to cast into shallow water, hold the rod tip high, & basically turn the lure into a buzz bait.

Seeing the wake come up behind your lure is JAWS revisited![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?