Safe to eat?

Started by Buckeye, January 22, 2011, 07:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeye

Need some advice.  I put 4 butts. into my DB6 yesterday.  They were at around 140 when I went to bed.  Oven temp was set to 220 but had only redached 185 due to 4 degree outside temp.

When I checked this morning, the oven had gone cold and the internal temp on the butts was 120.  I immediately moved them into my inside oven and they are now up to 168.

I'll troubleshoot the smoker later.  But do you guys think the butts would be safe to eat or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

BuyLowSellHigh

If you are doing these as pulled pork and headed for an IT of ~ 190-200, I think you'll be fine to continue.  I would.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

wyoduke

go for it same happened to me.
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

muebe

My wife would make me throw them away. Of course she is a nurse and knows way too much :D Pork today is pretty safe so I would finish them in the oven as others have stated. I would take them to an IT of 205-210 just to be safe.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

schneep

I wouldn't hesitate to continue, at 120 they were just cooling down, and can be reheated with no problem in my opinion.
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

Buckeye

Thanks for the advice.  I think they're OK too.  I think I just needed a little convincing.

BTW,  2 smaller butts now at 203 - going to FTC now.  2 larger butts in the high 180's.  All have beautiful char and smell awesome!

Thanks all!

classicrockgriller

I agree with others if you know butts were in 120's.

Kinda sounds like you forgot to rest the DBS timer.

Remember it only goes to 9 hours and 40 minutes.

Buckeye

There was still 45 minutes left on the timer.

Also,  I just got done resetting the oven temp to 320.  Waited 30 minutes and the element is cold to the touch.  Time to call Bradley and get a new element.