1 of 2 New Elements just died ... :-( !!@^%$#*&!

Started by smoker pete, January 21, 2011, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

pete -- I think your problem with two successive element failures out of two new elements makes a pretty clear case.  If the probability of an element failure is 0.7% and failures are random, the probability of you getting two bad elements successively would be about 0.0049% or 49 parts per million.  That's a highly unlikely event.  When coupled with the apparent increasing number of reports of element failures, it would appear that there is a significant defect occurring well above a random 0.7% failure rate. 

This problem would be a playground for a Six Sigma black belt.  Since the flawed elements initially work well I presume they would also test well at the time of production.  From what many have described they seem to "burn out" prematurely.  I suspect the manufacturer of the elements can easily determine the reason the element failed after the fact.  Hopefully they can quickly translate that into a root cause in their manufacturing process or subsequent handling and resolve the problem of premature failure.

I have two brand new heating elements I bought from Y&P in December sitting in my garage with the intent of doing the 2nd element mod.  Guess what I am not doing with these elements?  I would love to send them back for a refund now or a later exchange once a problem is clearly defined and resolved.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TonyL222

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on February 18, 2011, 07:09:47 AM
pete -- I think your problem with two successive element failures out of two new elements makes a pretty clear case.  If the probability of an element failure is 0.7% and failures are random, the probability of you getting two bad elements successively would be about 0.0049% or 49 parts per million.  That's a highly unlikely event.  When coupled with the apparent increasing number of reports of element failures, it would appear that there is a significant defect occurring well above a random 0.7% failure rate. 

Thanks for computing that stat.  I think Bradley has been taking a macro view - looking at overall failure rates.  Yet the problem seems to be in recent smoker purchases (since maybe last summer).  I'm not a Six Sigma Black Belt, but just from the anecdotes here and my personal experience with two failures within 3 mos, I'm confident the failure rate is higher than .07%.  For me it's been 100% within 3 smokes (I've only used my current one for one smoke so far).  I'm being hard headed and refuse to pay for a spare element for a product still under warranty  :(

Phlyfisher

Well, it looks like I'm joining the dead-element club too.  Mine crapped out this weekend in the middle of smoking a brisket. Luckily I was able to finish it in the oven, but I guess I'll have to give Bradley a call tomorrow.

I have only done a handful of smokes in mine, and it just went out. With all of the recent posts about dead elements, sure seems like there was quite a big problem somewhere up the line.