Coverting an old refrigerator into a smoker

Started by pfowl01, January 21, 2011, 06:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

Quote from: muebe on March 10, 2011, 08:31:59 AM
Would a small 12V computer case fan be a better option? You would just need a 110AC to 12DCV voltage regulator. They are inexpensive and widely available...

Thats exactly what I was considering, they are cheap and flow faily low cfm. Why spend $100 plus on a fan that you have to turn down to almost nothing. Again just my opinion.

Corey

muebe

I do computer repair work and have quite a few extra fans available. All different sizes and all 12DCV. Let me know if you want me to ship a couple to try for your mod..

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: CoreyMac on March 10, 2011, 07:40:36 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 09, 2011, 05:18:12 PM
Mounting the fan in the light hole might be interesting. That blower motor will handle intake temps up to 450 degrees which would work great. The only thing to keep in mind is the motor portion of the blower needs to be on the outside of the smoker.

CoreyMac
76 cfm may not be that high. If you read the specs it shows the cfm is 76 but the cfm quickly drops to 50 when there is flow restrictions. I don't full understand it but longer the run you try to flow air through, the more the cfm slows down. Add corners and its even more. Also, using a rheostat would control it as well.

Mike

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan/hvac expert but it seems that by my calculations the cabinet is 6 CU/ft and even 50CFM would give 8 1/2 to 9 air changes per minute.That would almost blow all the smoke out of the cabinet. Its a nice little fan ,and it would definitely need to be slowed down to almost nothing.I have yet to test my deal but it seems to me that now that I have calculated everything (correctly I hope) If the smoker is outside, if there is enough vents properly installed a fan is almost not necessary. Different story for dehydrating however. But this is all my opinion, I have never done any actually testing so I could be completely wrong (happens a lot ;D)

Guess it boils down to put the fan in and let us know how it works ;D

Corey

Corey

I'm definitely not an expert either. Just my personal experience and opinions as well.

Here's a picture of the exact same high temp blower on my big smoker. The only exception is mine is 130 cfm blower and is running full tilt with no rheostat.

I think something you need to keep in mind is you are recirculating the air in the cabinet as opposed to pumping air through the cabinet.

I don't think the computer fans would stand up very well because of the temps.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

CoreyMac

Interesting, obviously I never would had thought that much CFM would be good. But like you said its not necessarily once through air, its circulating. I stand corrected. Gotta love that real world reality stuff (blows that theoretical math stuff completely away) ;D

For an electric smoker that seems to work perfect. I'm going to have to be more careful with fans due to the fact that I'm natural gas heated (blowing the pilot out )

Thanks for the pic.

Hy jacked this thread enough ;D

Corey

Quarlow

CM that is what is so great about this forum, we all share knowledge with others via our own personal experiences. It is no good to know something if you can share it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

neocostical

I used a 110 volt muffin fan from a VFD on the outside of my smoker and it works very well....I will post pictures when I get a chance...

pfowl01

Mike,

QuoteI don't full understand it but longer the run you try to flow air through, the more the cfm slows down. Add corners and its even more. Also, using a rheostat would control it as well.

What kind of rheostat did you use on yours?

Mr Walleye

Paul

Mine runs full tilt without a rheostat. I was going to add one if I needed it but I've never felt it was required.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pfowl01

I would just like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions so far ;D I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to be able to finish this project ( hopefully before this fall ), but I'll be sure to keep it updated as it progresses.

nasels

I have been searching the net for detail Refrig smoker plans. This seems to be the best I have found.
Some rookie questions:

How will the heat plate fit in the bottom chamber where compressor was? Just sit in in and cut a hole?

Do you seal the open areas at the bottom of the chamber? I would suppose you do to keep in the heat?

How big a hole to cut in bottom? And I am pretty sure you remove insulation in the bottom?

I have read several that say just sit hot plate in the bottom of cooking chmaber and drill a hole for electric cord or run it out the door and it will still seal. In hot smoking will the cord and controls on the hot plate not melt in the heat chamber?

If you need to adjust the temp on the hot plate will the controls not be too hot to touch? I guess use an oven mitt.

As I said very rookie questions but I would like to build a game smoker. Tired of paying $8.50 for a 3lb stick of Jalapeno venison summer sausage.