Coverting an old refrigerator into a smoker

Started by pfowl01, January 21, 2011, 06:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello everyone,
I'm currently pondering the idea of building a smoker out of one of those old all metal refrigerators.....you know the ones with the one handle and the freezer is in the inside. Has anyone done this already? I'm thinking I would need the smoke generator, a fan, heating element, and a PID for control. Any thoughts?

classicrockgriller

If you can post some pics of it and measurements.

Anything is possible.

beefmann

PF,

my thoughts are

1) be sure that everything inside the box is paint free, do not want food  to become contaminated by paint

2) be sure that there is no plastic inside the cabinet as it may melt and contaminate the food

3) remove the refrigeration system  to prevent problems there

4) consider putting on a magnetic high temperature door gasket on the door

and as far as your thoughts I  think your on the right  track depend on the  size of the unit im thinking 1500 watt heater, 250 + cfm blower, timer, pid , smoke generator, and dont forget the vent on the top

good luck   

pfowl01

Quote1) be sure that everything inside the box is paint free, do not want food  to become contaminated by paint

2) be sure that there is no plastic inside the cabinet as it may melt and contaminate the food

Those are some good points.....the only one I never thought about was the door seal. I'm just tinkering with the idea.....my mother-inlaw has the frig. I'm just debating if it's going to be worth the time and effort to build it or if I should just get another Bradley and be done with it.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: pfowl01 on January 22, 2011, 06:31:27 PM
Quote1) be sure that everything inside the box is paint free, do not want food  to become contaminated by paint

Those are some good points.....the only one I never thought about was the door seal. I'm just tinkering with the idea.....my mother-inlaw has the frig. I'm just debating if it's going to be worth the time and effort to build it or if I should just get another Bradley and be done with it.

Nothing like building your own.

CoreyMac

(quote)Those are some good points.....the only one I never thought about was the door seal. I'm just tinkering with the idea.....my mother-inlaw has the frig. I'm just debating if it's going to be worth the time and effort to build it or if I should just get another Bradley and be done with it.

If you do decide to convert the fridge you won't regret it, if you like to do large batches of anything the extra space you have is
great. It takes a little bit of work to get one working correctly but you will be happy. I was going to scrap mine for a Bradley but decided just to do an over haul.

My 2 cents

NePaSmoKer

Hey i dont know how many of you remember a place online that was called SmokeHousePlandotcom. The guy had plans to convert an old fridge into a smoker. Very detailed and with part numbers for the controllers. Detailed measurements and the whole parts list needed.

I think the site is long gone.

I bought these plans way back then for $19.95 and have the PDF of the plans with the password to open the PDF up.

If ya want em just PM me and i will send the PDF file and PW to you.......FREE OF COURSE  ;D

pfowl01

CoreyMac

That's perfect. Looks virtually the same as the one I use. Now you get to start stripping it.
Its going to work like a dream.

Corey

OU812

I got one about the same age in my smokin shed, keeps my beer real cold.  ;D

Quarlow

What is the coating inside? Is it enamel coated? If so that is great.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

CoreyMac

Those old fridges are great, the only plastic in them is usually the door stuff and just around the lip of the main cabinet.
Everything else is enameled metal. Putting a sheet of stainless or something in the door is pretty simple.

Keep the pics coming as you go.

Corey

classicrockgriller

pfowl01

QuotePutting a sheet of stainless or something in the door is pretty simple.

Why would I have to do that?

QuoteWhat is the coating inside? Is it enamel coated? If so that is great 
I believe it is ;D

QuotePerfect for a keg-o-rator! 
MAAAANNN I never thought of that!!!...........Well this one is going to become the SMOKEINATOR :D

Friar_Tuck

The only reason you would need to replace the door panel is if it is plastic.
If the inner layer of the door is also metal, like the rest of the interior, you have it made!
I smoked for years in a converted frige.
Jim