Blackberry Jack Daniels Butt

Started by GusRobin, December 30, 2010, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 31, 2010, 07:20:24 AM
I think GR got up, finished the butt, had to test for QC, was overcome with pork and JD goodness, couldn't stop himself, and is presently in a pork induced coma.

I hear ya! ;D
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Brisket Lover

Now I don't care shout you are. That right there is funny.

GusRobin

Now, now , you must be patient grasshopper.

Woke up about 6:00am and turned and looked at the Maverick and all was well, butt at about 174*. Had a long stall from 160* at about 2:30. Went back to sleep and got up about 8:30 and still in the low 180s. Finally hit 190*at about 10:00. So a total of about 13 1/2 hours.
Put into FTC. I also collected the juice drippings and ended up with about a half a jar after running it through a strainer. Works good when you reheat the pork in crock pot. So here are the pics.

Butt out of the oven and ready to go into the cooler

Jar of juice. Not sure what the pork tastes like with the blackberry jam injection but I took a taste of juice. If the pork tastes anything like the juice it is going to be something.

Will post more after I pull it in a couple of hours.
The one drawback of finishing in the oven is that the whole house smells like bacon. The problem with that is even though I finished breakfast the smell keeps you hungry.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Nice bark and looks juicy too!  Congrats!  ;D

Brisket Lover

GusRobin

Took it out of FTC and ready to pull

Pulled and ready to bag. Will reheat in the crock pot with some juice tonight for dinner.

Tried a few pieces. It has a distinct flavor. I can smell the JD and taste the blackberry -very good. Like BrisketLover, next time I will use a stronger wood than pecan.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

seemore

Well, we finally made this:

We liked it, and had plenty of leftover seasoning, which we have stored in a jar.
We had some extra sauce, so I added some more whiskey, more jam, and a couple extras lying around and heated it up to make more sauce for pouring on.
seemore

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.